AuthorTopic: [C+C] Mechanic  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

[C+C] Mechanic

on: February 20, 2017, 08:41:48 pm
I would love some feedback on this.

I also would like your thoughts on black outline vs. outline with variations on the nearby colours.

Personally I prefer the black outline. Some of this preference is stylistic, but I imagine some of it is because I must be lacking some skill with pushing my character out from the background without it. I appreciate any feedback or tips you guys might have.

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Mechanic

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:04:11 pm
I personally really prefer version without the outlines. Maybe you could work on something between? Make outlines little more visible on the right one but don't use as much black colour. That's just my suggestion and I'm not sure how would it work out.

The wrench looks kinda off comparing to the character. You could try making it more shiny in some parts and also add some shadows on it near character's head. Another thing that I noticed is that her left leg looks strange. It's beding angle is too big I think. Rest seems really cool for me :)

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:17 am
Okay. I adjusted the legs a little. They both looked a little off after a few hours break from the piece.

I also added in outlines that were related to the base color rather than relying on the lighting to push the image.

Finally, I adjusted the wrench colors. I tried making it have visible shine in a reflective metal kind of way, but it seemed like overkill compared to just brightening the whole wrench up.

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:59:33 am
This time I focused on the wrench. I think I have something that fits with the style more.

I also changed the color of the nose. It was getting completely lost, so this might help a little, though it isn't all that noticeable at 1x.

I also bumped up some of the cast shadows.

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:43:12 pm
I've made a little edit maybe you'll like it:

Changed up wrench mostly coz it's lighting seemed strange for me. Epecially on middle. I brighten up the brightest wrench colour to make it look more metalic. I also tried to make lighting more fluent. Changed up boots a little bit but im not sure if it's a good change :P

Also I think you could make her hands overlap the wrench more. I didn't want to edit them coz I suck at drawing hands and didn't want to mess it up.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:46:05 pm by Franrek »

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:34:50 pm
Thanks. I like the most recent version of the wrench I posted best, I think. Using a brighter gray really seems to pull my eye away from the character.

The addition of a highlight to the shoes is a good thought, and I will do that. I will leave the toe of her right shoe 1px longer to show the foot being a slightly different angle (Hopefully! :P )

Thanks for the edit.

P.S. I also stink at hands.

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:56 pm
Well it's up to you with colours but maybe you could change lighting a little bit in these 2 spots:

As it is right now handle seems detached from the rest.

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:05 pm
Some wrenches (my wrenches, I do not know how prevalent this is) have an inset there to reduce weight in the handle. This is why the lighting change. If the inset is not normal, I may have to change the image to make it read more normally, lol. :D Thanks.

Offline Jehannum

• MMA-inspired Artist
    • jehannumma
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 01:58:03 pm
it seems odd to have so much shading on the handle which abruptly stops when it reaches the end sections. I also don't think the hands/fingers would cast that kind of shadow on the handle, especially considering the bright  lighting on the upper most section of the ends. The black line around the spanner is causing a few issues too, because your light source is above yet the lines imply shadows in areas that wouldn't have them.

it's making my head hurt figuring out where you chose to have the light source  :lol:

her hair suggests it's above and to our left, but the spanner suggests it's above and central in some spots, while in other areas it's directly in front of them both.
-----Working on my sig-----

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 05:58:05 pm
The lines are stylistic, and just as in the rest of the piece they are not impacted by lighting.

Addressing the direction of the lighting, it is above, to her right, and slightly in front, but not much.

I made a 3d rendering of my lighting setup with a crudely modeled wrench. I get the same shadow and highlight pattern. I guess I am not understanding the issue with the lighting?

I know it may sound like I am being defensive, but I promise I am not. I am just trying to understand what you guys are seeing.