AuthorTopic: [WIP] Post Apocalyptic Robot  (Read 5058 times)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: [WIP] Post Apocalyptic Robot

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:50:47 am
It isn't so much the height as it is the overall size. Game sprites usually need some sort of animation or interaction with other objects, and large sizes of sprites make that difficult.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 01:16:18 pm

-you don't loose much of your current detail you drew at a smaller size.
-having bigger sizes takes much longer to draw
-backgrounds will be more work the bigger the size is
-animations will be more work the bigger the size is
-animations will need more frames at bigger sizes to lok less choppy

A 32x32 base object project compared to a 16x16 base object project will take according to my experience 2.5 - 3 times longer - just from the artistic side if you use the same style.
Of course lower res generally lets you put in less detail.
I mean I really don't want to discourage you, but the time you save then with graphics can be spent on other things.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Yeet

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 10:08:59 pm

-you don't loose much of your current detail you drew at a smaller size.
-having bigger sizes takes much longer to draw
-backgrounds will be more work the bigger the size is
-animations will be more work the bigger the size is
-animations will need more frames at bigger sizes to lok less choppy

A 32x32 base object project compared to a 16x16 base object project will take according to my experience 2.5 - 3 times longer - just from the artistic side if you use the same style.
Of course lower res generally lets you put in less detail.
I mean I really don't want to discourage you, but the time you save then with graphics can be spent on other things.

I feel like the best way for me to improve on this sprite is simply to start a new one. :lol:
I say this because although the smaller sprites don't look bad, I just don't think they look as good, leaving me with two options: Continue with a large sprite, which will be hard work and time-consuming, or make the sprite smaller, which would bug me.
Conflicting.
So maybe I should choose a third option: start over. By doing this, I could cut down on time, but also the sprite would be its true size, and not a version I feel has been downgraded, saving me both time and annoyances.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:00 pm
Just look at indie games which got released and you will find out that they rarely have sprites exceeding 32 pixels.
I doesn't matter really what released and sucessful pixel art games we are talking about, the resolution is about the same size for all of them. And it's in all of them significantly smaller than 64px height.

Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, Nuclear Throne, Stardew Valley, Hotline Miami, Axiom Verge, Enter the Gungeon, Shovel Knight, Towerfall etc.

Grab some of their sprites and put them next to your stuff.
All of those games were made by guys who knew how to finish games and they knew if they would go bigger with their resolution, their game would get nearly impossible to finish off in a realistic development cycle of let's say 3-5 years.

I mean... it's not really the reslution which limits you.
design and visual style are much more important.

How many pixel art games with a charsize of about 200px are out there? I don't kow for sure, but probably a dozen of really high quality fighting games mde by capcom and SNK at the pinnacle of their company carrer, supported by artteams of multiple dozens artists.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Yeet

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:58:04 pm
Just look at indie games which got released and you will find out that they rarely have sprites exceeding 32 pixels.
I doesn't matter really what released and sucessful pixel art games we are talking about, the resolution is about the same size for all of them. And it's in all of them significantly smaller than 64px height.

Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, Nuclear Throne, Stardew Valley, Hotline Miami, Axiom Verge, Enter the Gungeon, Shovel Knight, Towerfall etc.

Grab some of their sprites and put them next to your stuff.
All of those games were made by guys who knew how to finish games and they knew if they would go bigger with their resolution, their game would get nearly impossible to finish off in a realistic development cycle of let's say 3-5 years.

I mean... it's not really the reslution which limits you.
design and visual style are much more important.

How many pixel art games with a charsize of about 200px are out there? I don't kow for sure, but probably a dozen of really high quality fighting games mde by capcom and SNK at the pinnacle of their company carrer, supported by artteams of multiple dozens artists.

Exactly, I'll definitely be restarting. Thanks for everyone's help :)