AuthorTopic: New to pixel art, looking for critique.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Knowlesspot

• View Profile

New to pixel art, looking for critique.

on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:45 pm
Hey guys, I'm looking to get some critique on one of the first pieces of pixel art that I've made. I've decided to stick to the limitations of Gameboy sprites (4 shades of grey, 32x32). I would appreciate any critique or tips that anybody can offer.

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Re: New to pixel art, looking for critique.

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:15:16 pm
Hi!

-One thing to keep in mind about Gameboy colours is the fact that one of the colors must be the transparency. To help you get an idea of this, just change your background from green to any of the 4 tints you have chosen.
-A lot of the detail in your piece is gone at 1x scale. The hair and face are close in color that the blend together.
-The readability of it is pretty low. I can tell what you are going for, but there seems to be a lack of intentional placement of pixels in the forms. (I.E. the arm on the right)

That is just my quick thoughts.

Offline Knowlesspot

• View Profile

Re: New to pixel art, looking for critique.

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:54:55 pm
Hi!

-One thing to keep in mind about Gameboy colours is the fact that one of the colors must be the transparency. To help you get an idea of this, just change your background from green to any of the 4 tints you have chosen.
-A lot of the detail in your piece is gone at 1x scale. The hair and face are close in color that the blend together.
-The readability of it is pretty low. I can tell what you are going for, but there seems to be a lack of intentional placement of pixels in the forms. (I.E. the arm on the right)

That is just my quick thoughts.

Can see where you're coming from in all of your points, thank you for your feedback!