AuthorTopic: My Mikaela "Mika" Hyakuya from Seraph of the End Pixel Art  (Read 1947 times)

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile
I am a beginner to all art but I did practice a little (very little) pixel art by copying them pixel-by-pixel.

Reference:

First one:

Latest one:

Please comment on the latest overall and his head/hair and cape. And comment on whether I've improved overall and his head/hair and cape. Thanks in advance!

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Re: My Mikaela "Mika" Hyakuya from Seraph of the End Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:16:54 am
I think it'll help if I show you how I would go about making this sprite. I'm pretty new to art in general so I'm pretty sure my ideas aren't the greatest, but hopefully you'll find this useful.

This is actually a pretty hard sprite to make because whites are so difficult to use and make work with each other.

Before I get in to that mess I start with either an outline or a silhouette blob. I usually find silhouettes easier but this time I tried a bit of a hybrid so that I wouldn't lose all the details

From there I just put in the straight colors I wanted to use. Little tip is to avoid using full black and full white. I used a dark purple to compliment the yellow hair, and a very light reddish color as the white.

I did a little shading just so I could get a better idea of each shape and where it lies in 3D space.

I don't really like having outlines, so the next step is to remove them.. and that's where I'm a bit less sure of how to explain what I'm thinking. Basically I lighten all of the outlines and then selectively remove the outlines that aren't necessary. For example the cape is either convex or concave depending on the way it's shaded, I don't need to separate those two sections with an outline like I had before. Anytime a light color is next to a dark color I don't need to use an outline either.
The removal of outlines really showed me a lot of problems with my shape as well, so I got to make several edits as I went.

The last part is where I assume my color choice could probably be improved, and I use an interactive recoloring tool to play with the saturation, hues, contrast, etc.
In this case upping the saturation in the cape made it worlds better I think.

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Re: My Mikaela "Mika" Hyakuya from Seraph of the End Pixel Art

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:28 am

skintone and hairtone relation is weird, he kinda looks like some sort of furry creature. I would recommend picking colors from the reference for now.