AuthorTopic: [C+C] Xbox Controller  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

[C+C] Xbox Controller

on: February 16, 2017, 10:34:15 pm
I'm still quite new to pixel art, but here's my latest attempt. Any feedback would definitely be appreciated  ;D

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Xbox Controller

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:17:43 pm
Hey there! I think this needs more highlights and shadows. It's hard to see the raised areas around the d-pad and analog sticks. Also, it might be a good idea to "customize" your controller with additional colors or go with another color/design entirely. Or make a couple of different variations.

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/10/pink-xbox-360-controller.jpg

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:19:22 pm
[I removed the edit, and instead leave just the adjustments I think would benefit you.]

It seems to me that your image might benefit greatly from a few adjustments.

-A black outline. On a dark background the controller stands out well, but any light/desaturated color robs it of form.
-Color adjustment. The white you chose was very...dull is the best word I can come up with. It wasn't a vivid looking controller. Additionally the shading color you chose was so close to the base color as to be basically invisible at 1x.
-More aggressive shading/Not pillow shading. At this scale, subtle hue.saturation.value changes are basically invisible, so if you want a good shading color, crank it up! :)
-Make the buttons bigger. 1px detail can often be completely lost at 1x scale, or come off as noise which is worse.
-Check your references. Make sure you always are drawing what you see, not just what you think it looks like.
-Get rid of noisy details that do not impact readability.

Anyway, these are just my 2 cents. I am still learning too :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:35:27 pm by Dreadnaught »

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:51 pm
[I removed the edit, and instead leave just the adjustments I think would benefit you.]

It seems to me that your image might benefit greatly from a few adjustments.

-A black outline. On a dark background the controller stands out well, but any light/desaturated color robs it of form.
-Color adjustment. The white you chose was very...dull is the best word I can come up with. It wasn't a vivid looking controller. Additionally the shading color you chose was so close to the base color as to be basically invisible at 1x.
-More aggressive shading/Not pillow shading. At this scale, subtle hue.saturation.value changes are basically invisible, so if you want a good shading color, crank it up! :)
-Make the buttons bigger. 1px detail can often be completely lost at 1x scale, or come off as noise which is worse.
-Check your references. Make sure you always are drawing what you see, not just what you think it looks like.
-Get rid of noisy details that do not impact readability.

Anyway, these are just my 2 cents. I am still learning too :P

Thanks for the feedback. One side question though, seeing as it's 32x32 would bigger buttons work or would I have to scale up the entire sprite to get that to work proportionally?

Looking at this now, I definitely agree my choice of colors were not to great haha. I've done a lot of reading up on the topic and think I've got a better grasp at the moment.

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:27 pm
Personally i made the buttons 2x2 and had them touching at corners. It reads like they are separated.

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:33 pm
Here is the edit I posted previously. I wanted to give you a day or so to work on it on your own before I posted it.