AuthorTopic: Posing Practice  (Read 12656 times)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Re: Posing Practice

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:05:55 am
Here comes the guy that struggles alot with the same problem.

My Photoshop Teacher always told me to simpliefy everything until you cant simplify anymore (Like turning everything into cylinders or making a ,,low poly net'' for the form to know how things are bend and will cast a shadow)

Pixelart of curse is a little diffrent...

Still you can always siemplyfy things...cut it down into triangels or round shapes (the easy things in pixelart)

And keep in mind...most of thetime ther is no ,,core shine'' (a shine in the middle and small black outlines) But the is a always a ,,core-shadow'' (very dark shadow with light at both sides)

So Take a VERY dark color and start where the most domiant shadow and then refine it (really just put big part into shadow...cellshading doesnt stop at the line where a normal shadow woud blur...it stops when the light begins...)

PS: I will follow with a edit but for some Reason that image is a gif...so i have to edit in PS (Graphics Gale cant open it >.>)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 05:50:56 pm
shes about to fall
That other dude also does anime pose but comes more as he is humping stuff
i told you to get handle of basic positioning and perspective because now it looks like cargo cult imitation of fighting game/anime sprites, and im more than sure people who drew them studied anatomy and drew from live sources first.

How specifically?  Is the pose unbalanced?  How so?  It's clear I'm not getting why I'm having these sorts of problems.

Here comes the guy that struggles alot with the same problem.

My Photoshop Teacher always told me to simpliefy everything until you cant simplify anymore (Like turning everything into cylinders or making a ,,low poly net'' for the form to know how things are bend and will cast a shadow)

Pixelart of curse is a little diffrent...

Still you can always siemplyfy things...cut it down into triangels or round shapes (the easy things in pixelart)

And keep in mind...most of thetime ther is no ,,core shine'' (a shine in the middle and small black outlines) But the is a always a ,,core-shadow'' (very dark shadow with light at both sides)

So Take a VERY dark color and start where the most domiant shadow and then refine it (really just put big part into shadow...cellshading doesnt stop at the line where a normal shadow woud blur...it stops when the light begins...)

PS: I will follow with a edit but for some Reason that image is a gif...so i have to edit in PS (Graphics Gale cant open it >.>)

I'm not married to cel shading.  I want whatever looks the best, and so far I've liked what I've been doing.  If there's a better way for me to shade this, I'd be perfectly fine with that, though I'll take into account even harder shadows.

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 08:54:32 pm
How specifically?  Is the pose unbalanced?  How so?  It's clear I'm not getting why I'm having these sorts of problems.
It is unbalanced, her legs are sliding apart and her feet are stumps.
It is said that if you wont land a character feet properly, entire thing will look unbalanced.
Also you can fit the third leg between hers, look down on yourself and think about it.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:04 pm
To expand on Bak's point, a good habit is to try any pose you plan on drawing. If it's hard to stay upright, it's gonna look unstable
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 11:00:40 pm

Decided to try out some silhouettes for the sake of it.  Pink was based off an image, White was me trying to listen to the, "build characters around shapes," thing though barely, and Yellow was based off of the last pose in this: http://img06.deviantart.net/cd9c/i/2016/048/8/c/pose_set__1_standing_poses_by_anadia_chan-d9s6hgt.jpg

I'm still not 100% on Pink's arms, because I can't figure out what to really do with them.  White probably gets away with a lot by having a cloak, and Yellow is almost a copy, so I'm not too worried about them, but the shape practice probably helps.

I tried shading this, but I'd really like ways on how to make it more complex.  I want to try getting away from this style if it isn't working how I want it to, so I'd be fine with either improvements or a major overhaul. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:22:21 pm
Hm, something I'm noticing is you tend to gravitate towards the same slender bodytypes. You ever try playing around with different proportions?
IE fat, burly, emaciated, mutated, etc?

I've found that doing big burly bastards and skinny waifish types has helped a lot with my ability to nail muscle groups and bone structure.

More immediately, middle and right are pretty good but left looks a bit stiff. I assume you were going for the anime "I'm a glum party pooper" type pose? if so, raise the shoulders and give 'em more of a slump.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 03:23:05 am

I've tried previously in the sense that Red is supposed to be thicker/muscled, and Brown is supposed to be shorter/chubby while the rest are fairly average.  Another thing to blame is a lot of images on Google are that body type, but I should look harder. 
Even here, I envisioned him as being wider, but I do like how this turned out. 

Pink was supposed to be a standard/generic pose that'd be the base for an animation, and a, "meh," expression was all I came up with.  I don't really know what to do with arms in that case a lot of the time.
Here's her being grouchy, though that still doesn't really work for a ready pose.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:26 am
hmm
try pushing it more, I think. Perhaps try and work from bodybuilders for a bit, or perhaps extreme-living-conditions photography

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:23 pm

Made Red a bit thicker just for the sake of it, but here's a beefcake.  I still think I could do with a different shading type on him, maybe just because there's a lot more real estate to use.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:26 pm
Aye. Try and work on the waist a bit too, the divide between the torso and the legs looks a bit off here. It might be a problem with the crotch height again, and possible the curve on the left side of the torso being too straight.