AuthorTopic: Wolf  (Read 3268 times)

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Wolf

on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:09 am
This is a head portrait of a wolf.
I was having trouble adding texture to the fur.
But other criticism would be appreciated.

Also this is my reference image

Offline Free Refills

• I hecked up
    • http://orbitalbk.deviantart.com/
    • Orbitalbk
    • View Profile
    • My Art Blog

Re: Wolf

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:56:07 pm

Hey there! Great work, but a few pointers:
1. This may have been what you were going for, but it is very cartoony; with little to no shading. The colors and shapes are fairly accurate, but it still needs a bit of depth to get that textured fur look! (use alternating hues when shading in fur)
2. The fur has a reddish whiteish tinge in the picture, but yours has a cool palette. I touched it up with a bit of red, brown, and white.
3. The eyes are very cartoony, but taking away a bit of the highlight and adding a few more colors to the mix fixes that. Use some slightly off colored rings around the eyes to make it look a bit more realistic!
4. The muzzle needed to be wider. A wide muzzle distinguishes between a cat and a dog, since felines have a thinner face than a dog and certain dogs have a slightly pear-shaped face.

Other than that, great job!  :y:

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:41 pm
Good Ideas! I was actually looking for a more cartoonish style. I made some edits with the shading and added a feature to the ears. I also made the snout bigger as you said.

I actually wanna add some "fluff" on the sides but I keep messing up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:37:34 pm by DylanTheDev »

Offline Jehannum

• MMA-inspired Artist
    • jehannumma
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:13:42 am
First thing I noticed (before looking at the reference image) was that the ears are way too close to the eyes and should be on the top or back of the head, then of course I opened the spoiler tag and that was confirmed :) I'd also make the same suggestion (or similar) as @Free Refills and that's to make the eyes a bit smaller and use that freed up space to make the upper part of the muzzle wider.
-----Working on my sig-----

Offline dotodrymo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:30:11 am
I agree with the anatomy/color suggestions of previous posters! No matter what style you're going for, getting your proportions right will help keep your image from entering the uncanny valley. Here's a super rough edit:

Mostly, I moved stuff around until it more closely resembled the reference image. I also don't recommend pixelling a head in isolation. You'd probably be better off either pixelling the whole image, plants and all, or finding a reference image where more of the animal is visible! If your goal is a wolf head icon, I recommend using your darkest color as an outline for better readability. :)

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:26 am
I used your ideas and used yours a little but I moved the snout so it was straight and redid all the shading and I also changed the eyes Also it's hard to see fully because of website background.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:05:57 am by DylanTheDev »

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:47 pm
Bump

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 05:53:39 am
I thought there wasnt alot of texture and i took some advice from my friends since no one was really replying on here so this is what i came up with. Im also gonna add a fire animation to it. I also added some aa.

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:44:54 am
Update