AuthorTopic: Deck of Cards  (Read 3858 times)

Offline SquidGames

• @Squid_Games
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/124512.htm
    • squidgames
    • View Profile

Re: Deck of Cards

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 12:25:23 pm
If you are going to print them you likely don't want the ace images to touch the edges as they will likely be identifiable on the side of the deck.

Good point! I am going to try this in a test-print.

well im going to be honest and say I personally don't really like this, although it's a cool idea, and I feel like I should like it.

I think the main reason is that the people aren't super readable and wouldn't be readable at all if you got dealt the card upside-down.

A secondary reason would be the inconsistency of style. I feel like the ace cards are way too different to the other cards. I also feel like the weapons are a but dull and hard to see, especially the shurikans. the cultures are too mixed, you have western and eastern but not 50/50. Also the diamonds are more rotated squares than diamonds, and I don't know what the weapon there is at all.

The balance of all the poses is off. Instead of being royal and awesome to be dealt, the royal cards feel weak and miserable, having no faces, expressions, or strength to support even their own bodies (eg. king of clubs). The contrast with the background is not good enough, especially with the character faces. The J on joker is too big. The club is not a very clear symbol. I would use a different glyph for the number 4 for the same reason of readability.

The card back is really cool, but again is not quite fitting the theme, era, or culture. Finally, I think I agree with other comments about the standard positive/negative space of the more standard cards being nearly as readable as the numbers, and this being important when playing.

You asked for a commercial critique!

First I want to thank you for your honest critique! I appreciate it!
You mentioned many points, and I am not going in detail here.

With some points, I agree with you, with some points not. There are a few issues, that I cant get rid of and I have to admit in the end, the product (if I get it printed) will be far away from perfect and polished. But this is not a reason for me, to cancel the project, because I already got some good feedback and if people like it (for whatever reason), they might buy it anyway.

I am going to make some more little changes, and then I will get a version printed, to see how it looks on the cardboard and what people think of it.