AuthorTopic: Skull  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Skull

on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:32 am

Here's my reference image:

I am seeking critique in hopes of getting better.

Offline SWEGDovahkiin

• View Profile

Re: Skull

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:24:48 pm
Magnify the sprite four times, then drag the ref up to the sprite and try to match them up. The jaw on yours is a little too wide. Other than that it looks great!

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:45:27 am

Update on the skull, also blocked out what I feel like I wanted to add to it. Never really done anything like this before.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:47:45 am
first skull was betterTHe reference isn't really well suited for being used as pixel art.
That kind of subtle roomlight just won't work out really readable on low res.Plus the colors don't really help to modulate the shape.
Plus I think there are some proportions you could emphasize in a different way at this small res.

I think the more realistic style you are going for and the resolution don't really fit together. If you go to 150% size or 200% you will have a smaller fight with the placement choices and you cna focus on getting a good drawing.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:01:46 am
Thanks Cyangmou, unfortunately I came to the same conclusion that my reference pick was a poor one, but a little too late. The second one I posted was me trying to deviate from it a little.

I agree that this would be theoretically easier to do at a higher resolution, but for me (for now) I prefer working smaller because it feels to me as though rather than having full control I can hide some of my incompetence in the sprite size.

The best I can compare it to is guessing on a multiple choice question, if there's only 4 choices you have a 25% change of putting the pixel in the right spot, but with 8 choices I have more freedom than I know how to work with.

I personally prefer the second skull, though that's coming from less experience than you. One of the biggest changes I made were the teeth, as I'm mostly doing this to practice that "cluster" concept and wanted to find a way to forego the isolated pixels.