AuthorTopic: Critique on Beginner Pixel'er  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Rahunei

• View Profile

Critique on Beginner Pixel'er

on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:32 pm
Hello! I'm new to this site,
I am a beginner trying to become a decent-level Pixel Artist to hopefully create a video game one day, and in my search for tutorials I found this place!

I have only recently started, so I know my skills need some refining..

However, I would very much like some advice, or perhaps a discussion on what obstacles you may have faced when you first started, and what has helped you overcome problem areas (especially in animating.)
Most of all I am hoping for some feedback on my first walk cycle I did in 4 frames.. which took me longer that I'd like to admit..

I would also like to improve on my color palette choices, so if anyone has some advice for that, I'd love to hear it!
I tried a little rendition of Kael'thas in an art style I was attempting to create

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Critique on Beginner Pixel'er

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:26:42 pm
My biggest obstacle was trying to enter into art as a whole through pixels. A good pixel artist has to start from a solid foundation of artistic knowledge.

I didn't do that and it took me way longer than it should've to grasp basics like rendering and anatomy.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 03:27:58 am
The walk cycle looks good :y:
The other sprite needs to be more readable.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:02:56 am
My biggest obstacle was trying to enter into art as a whole through pixels. A good pixel artist has to start from a solid foundation of artistic knowledge.

I didn't do that and it took me way longer than it should've to grasp basics like rendering and anatomy.
Not sure why I posted this here, I think I intended that for another thread. Whoops.
On-topic, I'd say try to practice reducing details to pixel clusters. For example, let's take your cloaked figure's cloak. The way you've rendered the folds is too noisy, and gives it a very unclear muddied look. I've taken a crack at applying it here to the cloak and flag thing. I also changed some face stuff but ignore that, it's not really helpful.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rahunei

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:50:55 am

Not sure why I posted this here, I think I intended that for another thread. Whoops.
On-topic, I'd say try to practice reducing details to pixel clusters. For example, let's take your cloaked figure's cloak. The way you've rendered the folds is too noisy, and gives it a very unclear muddied look. I've taken a crack at applying it here to the cloak and flag thing. I also changed some face stuff but ignore that, it's not really helpful.

It is interesting that you did post that, because originally I was going to put in that I didn't have much experience in art in general, but I ended up editing that out and put in the question. Pixel art was actually my way of trying to get into art.. So it actually end up being something I really needed to hear, anyway!

As for the sprite, that makes it look so much better. Even the face makes obvious sense now, too. I do have a habit of trying to squeeze in more & more detail to the point of confusing myself. I'll make a mental note; less noise, & use clusters!
Thank you!

Edit: I tried adding more frames!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:33:12 pm by Rahunei »