AuthorTopic: No quality massive RPG fantasy isometric tilesets...why?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline DrainedMan

• View Profile
I'm a programmer and what makes me curious is why isometric tilesets are so lacking. There are very few quality isometric tiles/characters, and certainly these are not consistent. Why has no artist(s) made a large tileset for isometric?

I mean sure you get some cutesy ones or some very retro ones (which i like) but they are so incomplete and I cannot make a whole game with them.

I would happily pay hundreds of $$$ for a decent large isometric tileset with a fantasy RPG theme. Something thats enough to make a game from with minimal custom art in addition.

Is the market just not there...I can't think why else not?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: No quality massive RPG fantasy isometric tilesets...why?

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 12:07:53 pm
If you're looking to commission that, I am open. I think the problem is more a combination of the rarity of isometric games paired with the surprisingly small number of people making commercial tilesets.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: No quality massive RPG fantasy isometric tilesets...why?

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:44 pm
I'd also love to work on such a thing, but even so I wouldn't make it on spec (e.g. to sell as a generic tileset).

I was going to say that perhaps it's because of the difficulty of making such a tileset sufficiently generic to sell, since fantasy is a genre largely defined by its settings and details. However, there is no shortage of generic fantasy top-down tilesets (perhaps thanks to RPGMaker setting a standard for required assets with its basic package).

So, I guess it's like MM said - there's not much need for such tilesets these days, so it's not worth the risk to spend the time creating one. Most current isometric games are either 3D or have a simple enough visual style that they can quickly create the art in-house. The isometric fantasy RPG genre is also largely defined by 3D games like FFT, which may be why people aren't making a lot of 2D ones.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:06:06 pm by eishiya »