AuthorTopic: CVS Style Sprite (Back in Black)  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: CVS Style Sprite

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 06:05:20 am

Shaded her legs a bit closer to Cammy than the edit, but otherwise took a heck of a lot of cues. Leg shape definitely looks a lot better.

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 11:46:31 am
it looks better
i tried to do an edit but gave up halfway and pose is janky

The problem with RWBY designs is that they use flat shaded no outline style and simplified anatomy, which is exact opposite of CvS style sprites. Hair and gloves have same outline which makes them look like weird hair slabs.
I dont think their designs translate well into small sprites without removing stuff. Like she has black/yellow boot top bandana things but also orange stocking on other leg and like piece of tutu skirt what.
That orange stocking obscures the leg and causes difficulty in making them match in length.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:24 pm
the sock on the front leg still totally reads like a knee that is too high.

both arms are hard to read but especially the front arm i cant figure it out.

i think the pose is a little cramped and unbalanced because its not clear where she's putting her weight.
i had a little go at making her lean more on the back foot (i figure weight would be there so front foot can be raised faster for blocking/checking).

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:09:28 pm by Decroded »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:31 pm

I don't want to change the pose because it is her actual pose that she takes.  This is the best screen I could find of it, but that's how she holds her arms up.  I redid the front arm so it's more angled towards the front, though, which hopefully makes it a bit more identifiable. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:02 pm

Decided to come back to this style because I saw reference for one of the character's new outfits in the game I based the sprite on. I'm mostly worried about the shading, because while the reference gave me a good guide, it doesn't have nearly as much detail for this level of complexity. 

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 09:03:39 pm
I think the legs' positions in Decroded's edit is closer to what's pictured in the ref. Both her legs are bent, but in yours, one looks like it's barely bent. This effect is even stronger in the new version with the pink dress.
Also, watch the foot positioning. In yours she less balanced footing with her feet pointing in nearly opposite directions, whereas in the ref the feet face the same way and look more stable.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:06:57 pm by eishiya »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 02:27:25 am

Made the our-right leg face more towards the screen, hopefully making her stance a bit more balanced.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 03:06:37 am
Crotch is too high and the leg bits aren't the same length, careful about those CLAMP legs man!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 01:10:02 pm
I think the reason the legs ekep looking off is because you've not put any light on the knees, even though those stick out and should receive light along with the upper leg. As a result, I think you've confused yourself about the lengths of the upper and lower parts of the leg, making the upper leg too long.
Here's a possible fix:

I put light on the knees (including some on the sock so it doesn't read so much like a shadow), and shortened the upper legs by 2px. I also made her thick a bit thicker, because she had weirdly skinny legs (even in the ref she has some thigh flesh).
Even with my fixes, the boots have some lighting issues. Try to shade the calves as if they're simple cylinders, ignore the fact that they're boots. As-is, it looks like you shaded the boots as separate objects without taking into account that they're just part of the leg. They seem to have shading at the tops of them, for example. Why would they?
Also her hair's lit from a different direction than her torso xP
If what I said here doesn't make sense, just say the word and I'll do an edit.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 03:30:07 pm
Need to separate her forearms more.
She looks like she has yellow nubs. Like her arms end at her elbows.

Her legs are noodles, define muscle mass a bit more.