AuthorTopic: CVS Style Sprite (Back in Black)  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

CVS Style Sprite (Back in Black)

on: January 28, 2017, 03:22:47 am

Saw some sprites in this style, and got inspired to make this.  Took a few cues on the legs from Cammy, but the rest was a lot of guesswork.  I feel pretty good with it, but there's a lot of shading I'm not fully certain of. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:02:08 am by Rosier »

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Re: CVS Style Sprite

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:15:31 am
her sleeves are same color as her hair which is confusing
also assymetry gonna be nightmare if you want to animate it.

edit: its one of them RWBY characters it seems. Not a fan of that design, but they use more lemony yellow for gloves\bra.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:18:18 am by Bak »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:24:40 pm
Left leg has a weird proportion / angle. But I really like the sprite otherwise
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:45:33 pm

It's supposed to be a sort of boxing stance, a bit bouncy on the toes.  I hopefully made it a tiny bit more accurate to what it should be.  Might have to rework shading so that the right/our right leg so that it looks more in front. 

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:37:31 am
I feel the the anatomy or angle of the left leg looks weird too. It looks a bit mushy around the knee. Also the right leg seems a bit off but maybe that's just me. The shadow under the right knee seems to imply a strong bend forward. But the front leg looks more relaxed and straight and might need different shading to reflect that. I'd recommend finding reference images of other female boxers this stance. Last thing, your feet/shoes need some work. They also look a bit mushy and lack some detail. Maybe add some lines to imply the seams in her boots? Maybe shoe laces? Maybe another color? A different silhouette? Check some of Capcom's stuff and notice there's detail on the feet/shoes too.

I agree with bak regarding the  yellow hair, yellow shirt, yellow sleeves being confusing. I think you've done a good job differentiating them but there could be other interesting designs. Anyway, I really like the sprite so far. The changes to the foot make the stance work better too.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 06:25:29 pm
As mentioned earlier, the colors are confusing.  I always like to define shapes as much as possible.  Maybe a defining line between all the yellow would help.  Also, you seem to make the crotch too high...wasn't sure what was going on there.
Anyway, been poking around with this the past couple days...

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:57:35 pm
I'll take a second look at her legs then, though that edit ought to help a heck of a lot.  As Bak pointed out a bit earlier, though, this isn't my character.  It's Yang Xiao Long from RWBY, so I've been going for her design, which is why I'm not changing the arms. The shading and such ought to be super useful, and I can try again with proper shaping.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:37:35 pm
In your depiction, her entire arms are yellow, but in the design, only the lower arms are yellow, which helps avoid yellow-yellow overlap and keeps the design clearer.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27:41 pm
Ah...ok.  That makes a bit more sense now.  My last post still holds true though,  just not the edit in areas obviously.   I was trying to read what you had.  I just like pixeling.   ;D