AuthorTopic: Pixelation has been DUGG!  (Read 33159 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Pixelation has been DUGG!

Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 05:02:28 am
Any artist with talent can use MSpaint. They may prefer another program over Paint, but they should be able to use it. It's like comparing a pen (Ms paint) to a good quality art pencil (any other program, Photoshop, graphics gale, etc). You usually use a pencil, because it's much easier but you can also make some good quality work from using a simple pen.
I actually completely agree. I mainly use GGale for stuff, but sometimes I'll start things in Paint before moving to GGale. For no reason but personal preference.
its not so much the difference between a pen and a pencil (being completely different media with their own strengths and weaknesses) as it is the difference between a pen that flows properly and a pen that is constantly going dry so you have to pause between strokes so the ink can run down again.
Is anyone really that slow in Paint? I mean, if you're used to it, everything becomes second nature. Sure, slower than shortcuts, but I never use shortcuts anyway.

What the hell is DIGG anyway?

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 11:20:45 am
I using about 4/5 years MSpaint to make my pixel-arts, and i wait get practice in promotion. For the moment i go more fast in ms-paint than promotion, but think when i have the enough practice with promotion go 2x o 3x more fast than MS-Paint.

For me the unique diference in Promotion MsPaint at the moment is the time. if you are a good pixel-artist you can make the same in Promotion and in MsPaint, the diference is the time spent in the pixel-art.

About the Ms-Paint for me not "sucks". I think the most talented people now, start making pixel-arts with MsPaint and think anytime all made any pixel-art in MsPaint(actualy i not talking about a lot of years when the deluxepaint... is other time).

Conclusion: MsPaint not sucks, and the best program for pixel-arts is Promotion  :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 11:58:38 am
I understand people getting touchy about others 'dissing' their program of choice. Matter of fact is that most people that use MSpaint aren't doing it by choice, but by force of habit and because the other options sometimes cost money. When I was using PSP for my graphic design needs I used to get all defensive when people said 'omg, get photoshop already!' but in the end, because I had to learn photoshop for work reasons, I can tell you they were right in the end. It is a better program for what it does. And the difference between PSP and PS isn't as vast as it is between MSpaint and Promotion

So if you find yourself knee-jerking against people telling you to try a real paintprogram, perhaps do it first and see what you're missing. We're not just saying it because it's funny to kick a dead horse. Promotion, even Ggale really is much better for the dedicated pixel artist.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 12:03:22 pm
well, I might as well give my input
I use mspaint, Im pretty sure I'll move onto promotion or something at some point, and its all very true that Ive stuck with it just because Ive always stuck with it ^-^
but theres one more reason :P its braggable to use one of the shittest programs to get nice results and I love a good ego stroke.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 06:31:02 pm
once im actually good enough to be paid for my pixel services, ill get promotion. then ill probably wean off of mspaint to promotion. between that time ill learn the obviously insane amount of hotkeys and shortcuts.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 07:16:57 pm
but theres one more reason :P its braggable to use one of the shittest programs to get nice results and I love a good ego stroke.

Getting work done faster AND better is way more satisfying than masturbating over doing decent work in a shit package.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 08:31:18 pm
Okay, to clarify my point in a more simplistic fashion:

Most of us could make better looking art, much faster, with some little airbrushes and a little Photoshoppng. We choose not to. We do things the "hard" way.

Likewise, I could get things done slightly faster (at the cost of losing some accessability and spending time getting over a learning curve) with another program, but I choose not to. I do things the hard way.

Musicians would complain about me using FruityLoops to make music. Real "physical" artists would complain about my use of school pencils on printer paper. Pixel artists complain about me using Paint instead of ProMotion or whatever. But they're all minor hobbies in the major pie that is my life, and I don't think it's worth making any of them more complicated than they currently are, so I stick with what I know for as long as it works, and as far as I can tell, MS Paint will never stop working for pixel art. Unless, maybe, if I start working professionally with it. But that's not something I want to do currently, so I see no reason to adapt to that.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 08:50:21 pm
Most of us could make better looking art, much faster, with some little airbrushes and a little Photoshoppng. We choose not to. We do things the "hard" way.

Heh, i wholeheartedly disagree with that. And that defeats your point, i win.  :-*

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 22, 2006, 09:12:35 pm
Lets agree to disagree folks, I think we've astablished that paint sucks, whoever chooses to use it is their problem.

lol since when did masterbating come into the equation ptoing  :lol:
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 10:18:38 pm

There's hard, and there's masochism. If you think there's respect to be gained from being a masochist, then you're not a real masochist :P A real one would do it for the sake of it. If you're making art for respect, my humble opinion is that that'll probably come back to bite you in the ass. Personal ambition is fine. Peer respect is another.

Also yeah, I don't think the benefits clean pixel art presents can be beat by automatic tools and photoshop.