AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tree  (Read 9008 times)

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

[WIP] Tree

on: January 26, 2017, 11:54:21 pm
Was working on it few weeks with big breaks. The thing I mostly dislike about this is the difference in style between leaves and the trunk. Looking for some advice. Thx :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:06:26 am by Franrek »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Tree

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:02:40 am
I'd say reduce the leaf details some, or give the bark more divided appearance to match the foliage chunks.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:51 am
I don't want to make leaves less detailed since i worked on them pretty long and I like them. I agree that i should make bark less smooth and more devided but nor sure how to accomplish that. I changed color palette a bit, not sure if that helps:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:46:14 am by Franrek »

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:39:06 pm
It looks pretty good so far! But feels like it's lacking depth. Everything is so uniformly lit. You should try to think about it in 3d more, like imagine a point where the lighting is coming from and think about where shadows would be and so on.

Here's a rough and dirty recolour to how you could fix the shading a bit, and I also changed the colours a little, maybe it will give you some ideas!

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:46:10 pm
Nice thx! Gonna work with that and do some shading

Offline dotodrymo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:57:02 pm
I think your technique is looking really good! At this point, your biggest problem seems to be the proportions of the tree. Here's a quick edit with a shorter, more complicated trunk:

And here's one with the leaves moved to make the canopy look more like a 3d mass of leaves:

You could go longer with the trunk, but I think that more life-accurate proportioning could really boost this asset.

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 07:33:16 pm
Thank you guys for all the support. Basing on what you sent me, I edited the asset. I feel kinda like I'm copying your job tho, so sorry for that, it won't be used for any commercial purpose anyway.
Anyway here it is:

I don't really feel like editing the leaves to make the foliage as round shaped as much as you showed me @dotodrymo. I like the shape of it as it is but I might change it a bit so its not THAT unrealistic. I'll definitely cut some off on the far right and left.

About the lighting: I only saw how flat the trunk only after you sent me your version @aamatniekss, which is awesome. I don't really feel good about the leaves colour pallete I made either. One one hand I don't want to add much more colours but on the other it would help make the lighting more fluent i think.

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 08:13:34 pm
While the lighting is an improvement, I still think it looks a bit flat when each clump of leaves looks like they have a different light source than the right side and trunk. The black outlines that are around each clump make it look more like an island of leaves. Since it's a top-left lightsource, each clump should also be effected in the same way that the right part of the tree has been (lighter on the left, darker on the right).

Making the clumps around the edges of the trees (that sort of, dark outline of leaves) lighter as it gets hit by the light more would also help.

As for the trunk, it would pop a lot more if the cast shadows from the leaves would darken the top.

Take a look at this, 3/4 down the page where it talks about trees -might help you a lot http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_de-mystifying_greats_1.php
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:22:07 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 02:44:49 pm
Thx skittlefuck. Update:

It's still not any near to perfect

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:40:07 pm
I think the shading and texturing look great, now you need to get the shape to be a bit more pleasing. Each small clump of leaves is round, and yet your tree is triangular. Additionally there is a big lumpy protrusion coming out the top of your tree and kinda sagging. Here's some references where people made a similarly shaped tree with clumps of leaves like you have:

This one is most like what you have, just if you went around and rounded all the sharp corners as well as "puffed up" any really skinny bunches.

I like this way this one handled the leaves at the edges, they stick out pretty far and are nicely shaped

Unfortunately this image didn't seem to include their entire tree. The gaps and branches in the leaves help with its shape, you could consider doing something like this