AuthorTopic: Pixel art - House, need some help  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Z0MB4

• wat
    • theomrios
    • theoamiranda
    • z0mb4.deviantart.com
    • theorrr
    • View Profile

Pixel art - House, need some help

on: January 23, 2017, 05:41:08 pm
A few weeks ago i made this pixel art for a game with a friend, but i decided to change some things.

So I've changed the entire pixel art to this:

I wanna make something like studio ghibli art, but i dont know if the colors that i used are okay, and the structure of the house, what do you think?

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel art - House, need some help

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:17:07 pm
I'm going to go ahead and say that the original looked better. In the 2nd version, you're over-detailing everything (brick wall is the main culprit) and the pixel work isn't clean.
While the pixel work isn't clean in both versions, it's more apparent in the second version.

Here's what I mean:

I can't whine about the colors too much though, the most glaring problems are the ones I listed. Also, where's the shadows of the house? The overhanging roof bits should cast one, and it looks odd without them.

And also, not to be rude, but you won't make something akin to Ghibli any time soon. The art made by them is amazing and it's not only the colors that make the art, but all the detail and fundamentals. When it comes to detail, there's so much thought put to in, perspectives are amazing, compositions are thought out.

If you want to reach such a level, learn fundamentals, such as perspective, basic structure in perspective, color theory and do studies of actual house and take a note of everything out into them.
Then ask the question of why when creating the design of items and locations. Ghibli art creates believable worlds cause they seem real not only cause of looks, but because the locations show purpose.

Note: do not resize images when posting here. We can resize them ourselves by clicking on them, and it's harder to edit them and show you our critiques.

If there's any more questions, feel free to ask, and I hope I wasn't too harsh.

Offline Z0MB4

• wat
    • theomrios
    • theoamiranda
    • z0mb4.deviantart.com
    • theorrr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:44:28 pm
I'm going to go ahead and say that the original looked better. In the 2nd version, you're over-detailing everything (brick wall is the main culprit) and the pixel work isn't clean.
While the pixel work isn't clean in both versions, it's more apparent in the second version.

Here's what I mean:

I can't whine about the colors too much though, the most glaring problems are the ones I listed. Also, where's the shadows of the house? The overhanging roof bits should cast one, and it looks odd without them.

And also, not to be rude, but you won't make something akin to Ghibli any time soon. The art made by them is amazing and it's not only the colors that make the art, but all the detail and fundamentals. When it comes to detail, there's so much thought put to in, perspectives are amazing, compositions are thought out.

If you want to reach such a level, learn fundamentals, such as perspective, basic structure in perspective, color theory and do studies of actual house and take a note of everything out into them.
Then ask the question of why when creating the design of items and locations. Ghibli art creates believable worlds cause they seem real not only cause of looks, but because the locations show purpose.

Note: do not resize images when posting here. We can resize them ourselves by clicking on them, and it's harder to edit them and show you our critiques.

If there's any more questions, feel free to ask, and I hope I wasn't too harsh.

Based in your review i made some changes, shadows, remove some details,.. Thanks for the honesty, i really wanna make a great game with good art, so i need to remake things a lot of times and always accept hard critiques
 So, what do you think about this new version? That's is good enough?
 Btw, for the game i made this animation:, do you think that this going to combinate with the house style?
 Sorry for my bad english, i'm brazilian :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:52:15 pm by Z0MB4 »

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:52 pm

I back the idea of of honesty, but I think that statement needs an additional thought.
As long as you don't get frustrated by high self expactations it's not a bad thing to be inspired by other artists, by films, video games or photography. It is always better to work onto a destination than just working with nothing in mind.
So go ahead, watch your ghibli movies again and again and again and study their art. Your effort will pay out. ^^