AuthorTopic: Wanting to Push my Character.  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Wanting to Push my Character.

on: January 21, 2017, 12:54:35 pm
Hi all, this is my first pixel piece in a while and I feel quite rusty. I've been working on it for a few hours over the last two days and I'm hitting a bit of a wall in progression.

Just looking for ways to really push it to the next level.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: Wanting to Push my Character.

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:37:28 pm
Nice nice nice.

Proportions are a bit weird though.
The noggin is way small, shoulders are very...Elongated, so are arms.
I'd rework the top half a bit.

Offline absenter

• Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Artwork

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:59:19 pm
I agree. It's a really good start, but the head feels small and arms seem a bit too long. The fingers are a bit thin underneath that glowing magic thing. The bend behind the knee on the right side seems off as well. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me.

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 11:38:47 am
Thanks for the great feedback achrymose & absenter. The paintover was very much appreciated and I've worked it into my edit so hopefully it looks good to you.

Absenter, good pickup on that knee! Fixed that that.. haven't done much on the fingers but I did adjust the hands a bit.

The hair is driving me mad! Same with the face really.. I have it better than what it was..

*Some small edits
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:50:41 am by Swifty »

Offline Silenia

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:36 pm
Did a quick (and somewhat sloppy) edit of the face (and a slight bit of hair) area.

Beyond what's easily visible, I also got rid of the brown (#38231c) around the eyes. It wasn't used anywhere else and one of the purple shades already in use (#3c1b23) is near identical.

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:07:12 pm
I think the pose itself comes off as very odd, and somewhat symmetrical (especially with the arms in the way that they are). Maybe consider experimenting with something more dynamic?

(not a great example -it still looks pretty stiff, but hopefully it gives you something to at least consider) You could exaggerate the bend in the spine and stretch the torso out even more for a better effect.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:17:06 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:39 pm
Face and hair edit.  Touched on the arms a bit too. 
As mentioned the head was very small.  Also, the face had a somewhat chiseled look to it, which kept it from looking feminine.

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:07:33 pm
@Silenia - I can't believe I didn't think to do hair over the face! Thanks for the paintover!

@skittlefuck - You're absolutely right.. the pose is way too symmetrical. Thanks for the CC, I've edited to something more akin to your paint over, thanks!

@dpixel - Wow, you smashed it on that edit. You took my butch monstrosity and made it into something quite feminine. Such great pixel control, thank you SO much! I studied your edits and applied it to mine. I really like your wavy hair too, as I think it captures something a bit arcaney about her artefact.

So, new version with your help:

It's still a bit rough where I moved and rotated pieces, but hopefully overall the piece is looking better!

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:54 pm
I like the new position of the arms a lot.  Nice improvement on the face too.  Although the nose area seems a bit beak-like.
More edits: