AuthorTopic: [CC] Joystick  (Read 2822 times)

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

[CC] Joystick

on: February 01, 2017, 01:03:54 pm

So I made this pixel art based on this drawing from AndroidArts/Arne, I used the C64 palette. I feel like a lot can be improved here, but I just don't know how. Thanks for any help in advance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:27:23 pm by CFKaligula »
You get in the bowl

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Re: [CC] Joystick

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:07:02 am
Pretty cool. I think your perspective could use some small tweaks. The left highlights sticks out to me - not only is the perspective on it too sharp, but it's darker than the yellow casing. I suggest trying to use lighter colors for highlights and correcting the perspective based on a box.

The joystick ball at the top could also use the same colours as the base of the joystick, as in the sketch. This would help pronounce the shadow underneath it.

Finally, try to have good contrast on the shaft against the casing. At the one point that it matters - directly behind the shaft you have a green color which kind of has the effect of blending the shaft into the casing - the opposite effect.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 09:29:24 am
The left highlights sticks out to me - not only is the perspective on it too sharp, but it's darker than the yellow casing. I suggest trying to use lighter colors for highlights and correcting the perspective based on a box.

Thanks for the response! I don't really understand this part of your comment though. do you mean this highlight?

and what do you mean with 'the perspective is too sharp'?
You get in the bowl

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:41:53 pm
I was referring to the grey line just to the left of that spot. The direction of the line doesn't point towards a vanishing point.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:25:51 pm
I fixed the line to actually go to the perspective and made it lighter, like you said.

You get in the bowl

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:02:01 am
There are 3things you need to watch out for:

-your artwork has 55 colors, the c64 palette has 16 colors - i guess something with your pencil settings went wrong.

-multi color AA it sometimes doesn't work.THe antialiasing in your sprite sometimes just is wrong, whcih means that it doesn't smoothen 2 edges, it's just a brighter or darker color which sticks out.

-contrasts: you can use the colors in the palette to much bigger advantage than how you are using them now. Try to make it simple and try to make everythig contrast clearly with the other parts. Don't be afraid to use plenty of black. The palette supports it.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Jehannum

• MMA-inspired Artist
    • jehannumma
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 10:34:45 am
most of the angles seem to be off even if you're NOT aiming for a degree of symettry.

I've added some lines to show you what I mean. The lower green and pink lines are duplicates of their upper counterparts, but the pink lines ARE at a different angle to the green ones, if you couldn't tell.

the 2 transparent white lines highlight the differences between the flat sides.

I am curious if I'm calling this all wrong though :D
-----Working on my sig-----

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02:28 pm
what you are describing is a perfect symmetrical, isometric cube, which has no vanishing point and thus is impossible to actually exist. What you are trying to show is that the the cube is not perfectly set up like this:

In a correct cube with a vanishing point. those green and pink lines you drew, should not be symmetrical, they should go towards each other.
For example this cube:

You see I drew all the same lines you did. and these didn't math either.
Only if I wanted to draw a perfectly symmetric and isometric cube, these lines would match up.

You get in the bowl