AuthorTopic: 32 x 64 character sprites, figuring out sel-out  (Read 2266 times)

Offline doctorcello

• christinaskyles
    • View Profile

32 x 64 character sprites, figuring out sel-out

on: January 14, 2017, 02:50:00 am
Hi! I need more practice doing small sprites (smaller than I usually work with, anyway), so I decided to make a 32 x 64 sprite sheet of this character I made. Here's a high-resolution picture of him:

And here's what I have so far on the sprites:

I've been looking into the selective outlining method in order to fit in more information, and admittedly I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right. I've looked at various different sprites to try to figure it out (in case it isn't obvious, I'm trying to emulate The World Ends with You), but I still don't quite get it so I mainly fudged it until it looked decent. Any tips on making these sprites look more coherent and cohesive with each other?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: 32 x 64 character sprites, figuring out sel-out

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:20:19 pm
I'd say you've done pretty well! I like the design of the character a bunch.
Looking at the TWEWY sprites your creation doesn't quite have the sharp look they do, but I think that's a good thing. Yours looks better to my eyes than they do since it doesn't strain the eyes to make out details on!
I'd say finish the turnaround and move on to walksprites, if you're planning to make those.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Ma3vis

• View Profile

Re: 32 x 64 character sprites, figuring out sel-out

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:46:25 am
Personally am not the best but here's my attempt

It might help with the walksprites if you haven't started yet already

Agree with MysteryMeat too, but the sprites could use a smoother shading or width to them I think

For the majority the sprites are good except for the shins/legs on the south and north facing sprites