AuthorTopic: [Feedback] First Grass  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Marcus Aseth

• View Profile

[Feedback] First Grass

on: January 10, 2017, 12:33:23 am
Even though the title says first grass,  it is actually the second, since the first was just random vertical lines of random 20 or so greens and then after seeying that just making random lines for 20 minutes wouldn't magically turn into grass, I went and read a tutorial  ::)
The canvas was 32x32, I actally don't have a specific question, I am kind of looking for general critiques just to make sure I'm on the right track, so probably I would like to know which one of the two is better, what is not working in it and how to improve on it. :)

Grass1

Grass2

Grass tiled (scaled up to 64x64)

Edit:
Also some leaves attempt

Leaves

Leaves Tiled
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:29:50 am by Marcus Aseth »

Offline FelipeFS

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] First Grass

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:55:55 am
I like the last iteration more, because of the saturation.

I'm the kind that like the grass with a flat color and some spots of tall grass, here's my approach:

Of course, it is still difficult to say which one is better without looking at the assets that will go together with the grass. Some approach may suit better than the other according with the surrounds  ;D

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:55:58 am
As FelipeFS said, we'd need to see the other assets with the grass to give you proper feedback, but I think it's a very good start anyway.

I say "start" because now comes the most annoying part; getting rid of the grid. You can do this by adding more tiles or by editing your current tile:

I'd work a lot more on this to fix every possible "line" in the grid, but I think you get my point.  :) Slightly changed the colo(u)rs to have less contrast, just personal preference!

Offline Marcus Aseth

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:19:37 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys

@FelipeFS: I see your point (though I really only have grass and nothing else so far)  :lol: 

@MicKo: thank you for editing it  :), I actually spent quite some time in photoshop trying to get rid of the grid before posting but couldn't completely achieve that, what I found out is that I'm struggling a lot against the tools. The thing is that I don't have direct feedback regarding the grid when I edit the tile, basically in order to check I have to copy-paste the tile many many times, scale-up, and copy paste the whole thing 4 other times (to get the picture I posted), so is more the time I spend copy pasting that the time spent fixing, and just to find out that the grid is still there...
So a very slow-unprodictive and indirect method, the smart thing would be to have 8 copy(or more) updated in real-time surrounding my tile, so every pixel I place gives me an immediate feedback regarding the state of the grid, but I didn't found this option in photoshop.
There are any tricks regarding better workflows to get rid of the grid? 

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:23:18 pm
I'd invest on aseprite, it's probably the current best option for working on spritesheets since it's kind of built around it. There's a specific tiled drawing mode that shows you how what your drawing will look like tiled, it's pretty handy.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Marcus Aseth

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:16:03 pm
I'd invest on aseprite, it's probably the current best option for working on spritesheets since it's kind of built around it. There's a specific tiled drawing mode that shows you how what your drawing will look like tiled, it's pretty handy.

Awesome, I'll give it a try  ;D