AuthorTopic: Make your own ellipses (pixel art)  (Read 11224 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Make your own ellipses (pixel art)

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 08:11:32 pm
If you are unsure how to draw an ellipse and don't much trust your editor (GraphicsGale had a buggy ellipse (might still do), Pro Motion can't draw an even dimension ellipse, still need to trust editor enough to draw the high-res ellipse) try something like this: http://img.uninhabitant.com/ellipse_sampling.png
If the centre sampling point falls within the high-res ellipse fill that pixel.

Offline FelipeFS

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:12:30 pm
For a 12 years old, that lives in Poland, you really have a rich english vocabulary. And also like 80-column texts.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not being sarcastic or such. Sorry if it sounded like sarcasm.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:31:55 am by FelipeFS »

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:30 am
We understand that there can be different kinds of ways to draw an ellipse in pixel-art, but the point is that there is not real point to this. It's not an exercise that's interesting, nor is it something that will improve your skills.

You have pointed out what we should do, but not why. You're curious about how people approach ellipses? You already got your answer, why do you want us to draw multiple ellipses?

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:29:08 am
If you are unsure how to draw an ellipse and don't much trust your editor (GraphicsGale had a buggy ellipse (might still do), Pro Motion can't draw an even dimension ellipse, still need to trust editor enough to draw the high-res ellipse) try something like this: http://img.uninhabitant.com/ellipse_sampling.png
If the centre sampling point falls within the high-res ellipse fill that pixel.
Paint.net does exactly what you described, but this editor is bad and won't replace Paint. I want to see your ellipses, how you draw them. Not help. It's for fun, not help.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 06:30:22 am
We understand that there can be different kinds of ways to draw an ellipse in pixel-art, but the point is that there is not real point to this. It's not an exercise that's interesting, nor is it something that will improve your skills.

You have pointed out what we should do, but not why. You're curious about how people approach ellipses? You already got your answer, why do you want us to draw multiple ellipses?
Yes, I am. But how did I already get the answer?

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 02:53:29 pm

You were said that it depends wholly on the context. Basically, taking look at ellipses on their own is a pointless exercise.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:45:54 pm

You were said that it depends wholly on the context. Basically, taking look at ellipses on their own is a pointless exercise.
It depends on person opinion not on context.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 05:07:30 pm
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:
A single artist will likely rasterize the same size ellipse in different ways in different situations, based on what they're depicting and the colours they're using.

Context matters. A person's "opinion" on which pixels to fill with which colour depends on the context. Sure, if someone's just filling out a sheet full of contextless ellipses, then it's only their opinion that matters because there's no context. But the point is, most people don't do that, they do ellipses in context, and that context drives their decision.
If you pixel ellipses the same way in all contexts, you're probably making worse art than you could be.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:30 am
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:
A single artist will likely rasterize the same size ellipse in different ways in different situations, based on what they're depicting and the colours they're using.

Context matters. A person's "opinion" on which pixels to fill with which colour depends on the context. Sure, if someone's just filling out a sheet full of contextless ellipses, then it's only their opinion that matters because there's no context. But the point is, most people don't do that, they do ellipses in context, and that context drives their decision.
If you pixel ellipses the same way in all contexts, you're probably making worse art than you could be.
Really? I don't think it's a good idea to pixel a red ellipse differently than a green one for example. Also most people (that are not pixel artists or in this forum) just use built-in function to make ellipses. I want to see which ellipses various people prefer. PLEASE! DRAW! ELLIPSES!
The context is the color scheme you picked. If you want to make black on white, use that context. GO! I would rasterize them equally because how does context matter? I always use 9 pixels to make a 3x3 circle, while using 5 pixels can give impression of smaller circle, but my 3x3 circle does not depend on context, if I want to make a 3x3 circle. Would you rasterize 8x8 circle differently if it's red or blue? This is just stupid. Why would someone rasterize circle of same size differently with different colors?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 01:43:51 pm
I wouldn't rasterize a single-colour red ellipse on white any differently from a single-colour green ellipse on white. Those are still contextless shapes!
But, I would rasterise a bright green plastic pipe (the opening of which is an ellipse) sticking out of grey concrete that's meant to be the focal point differently from how I'd rasterise a grey hole in that concrete (also an ellipse). That's context. And the reasons I'd do that are
1. The green pipe is a focus, and so I would probably make it a little thicker so that it's clear that it's the focus.
2. Light affects plastic and concrete differently, and the two objects have different types of edges. This effects how much of an impression of light/shadow I want to give and how smooth/soft I'd make the edges.
3. The two objects have different textures, and possibly different kinds of wear and tear. I would break up their outlines to reflect this. Subtle chips in the material are very easy to convey by choosing to rasterise one part of a shape differently from another, since the overall shape is still an ellipse, but now with subtle irregularities.

See what I mean by context now? Actual artwork. Scenes, tilesets, etc. where ellipses are used to depict objects or create an impression rather than drawn for their own sake.