AuthorTopic: Postcount Ranks Updated  (Read 23430 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Postcount Ranks Updated

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 03:22:12 am
Nice.  I've never seen anyone with 10000 posts before.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 04:58:47 am
why the random japanese names?
We've always used Japanese titles on the forum, particularly associated towards fuedal and military subjects. Expanding on the titles is by no means a random process, even if there is no singular theme such as focusing on a particular martial arts system, for example.

gaijin is kind of racist. gaikokujin is the proper word, it's like the difference between saying "japanese" and "jap", or "american" and "yank".
So are you of the opinion that it is kind of racist, or do you feel that you are moreso to one side of the issue than the other, personally speaking? If by 'kind of' you allude to the multiplicity in meaning, then I can understand how some might take offense. I've read that it is often people who are foreign to Japan that receive the word almost always as a derogatory, but it's been used between people of Japan to refer to, simply, a 'stranger'. If I thought it was a word that people would be in an uproar about, I would probably have considered another option for this first level rank, but I've seen enough evidence to suggest that it is still a worthwhile word. In my mind, gaikokujin is overly formal and nationalistic for these purposes (succinctness), as well as being a longer word, and the Japanese do have a tendency to truncate some words, in this instance reducing back again to gaijin. I sincerely hope people are not intent upon utilizing the more negative connotations of the word here on this forum. Ultimately, it is just a word, and not something I'm married to. If we could find a superior rank list that reduced the possibility that someone would take offense, I would definitely consider that. Thanks for bringing this up hawken.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 06:41:42 am
heh  ;)

well in Japan (where I live  ;D ) it's almost certainly seen as being a racist word. I guess outside Japan it's seen as a peculiar word, bordering on racist.  :n:

how about peasant? (?? "noubu") certainly fits in with your feudal class system. and sounds kinda funny in english too!
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 02:22:16 pm
I also enjoy how I am apparently a Ronin Shogun. An improbability if there ever was one in Feudal Japan!

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 04:25:46 pm
Noubu indeed does make for a nice pun actually, provided that it's pronounced the way i think.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 06:32:54 pm
Hehe, I agree Miascugh. I like it. The only problem I see is that it mis-aligns the use of nofu to an extent, since farmers are assumably peasants as well. Show me a way to re-align the lower ranks. :)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 01:59:27 am
why the random japanese names?

gaijin is kind of racist. gaikokujin is the proper word, it's like the difference between saying "japanese" and "jap", or "american" and "yank".

Wrong, Gaijin just means foreigner in Japanese. In chinese on the other hand it means white devil.

well in Japan (where I live   ) it's almost certainly seen as being a racist word. I guess outside Japan it's seen as a peculiar word, bordering on racist. 

When did living in a country suddenly make someone a linguist for that country, c'mon man. My girlfriends entire family is from Japan, only in America is it supposed to mean something bad.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:01:42 am by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 05:43:45 am
Gaijin means foreigner, but as hawken said, is the derogative way of saying Gaikokujin. So he is not quite wrong.
Originally it was (and is still) used for lowering foreigners (nowadays people use it when talking with people they know and such though).
Japanese people won't call themselves gaijin so it doesnt really matter for them, and most of the ones called gaijin either don't understand nor care nor are in the place where they are called like that, but if you wanna speak properly, Gaikokujin is the word to go with.

And well, following what you said, what makes you a linguist for just having a kinda-family from Japan? I dont think a word means something bad depending on the place you are but depending on who says it towards what.

Anyway, apparently I'm a samurai merchant :0
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:50:53 am by Panda »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 06:08:06 am
Anyway, apparently I'm a samurai merchant :0
  :lol:

Although a rank system ought to be relatively easy to set up (and forgettable to some), it has a profound effect on the membership from the responses here. As far back as I can recall, the fuedal Japanese system has been our mainstay, but the additions appear problematic. The subject is no less valid as from the initial observation made by hawken, but it's threatening to become a distraction. However, I really don't see a way around it; a change is in order, and further discussion would help.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 06:23:25 am
Out of curiosity, why did you define postcount ranks all the way up to 10,000?  I've never seen a postcount that high anywhere.  Helm has the highest postcount on this board, and even at his current rate of posting he will take another several years to reach 10,000.  If Gaijin is problematic, why not just shift the entire heirarchy down one notch, making Nofu the lowest rank and having Ikkitousen fall at 5,000?  (other than the fact that Ikkitousen literally means "one with the strength of a thousand")  Or would you just rather have an even ten ranks and find a new name for the first one?
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.