AuthorTopic: Library title screen design  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Final Ninja

• View Profile

Library title screen design

on: January 05, 2017, 12:16:01 am
Hey everyone,

I recently did the art for a Ludum Dare game, so now I'm going back to polish it up because the titlescreen is just blank text at the moment. Maybe I'll post the rest of the art later, but for now I'm trying to really polish up the menu screen.

This is the current version of the menu screen:

Most recently I worked on adding shingles to the roof, though it got a bit messy. Here is the outline I did for the shingles just for reference:

If you have any advice or suggestions, I would appreciate it. I had a lot of fun with the lighting and colors with this. I also had some more elaborate plans for the windows but I had to really simplify them to get it legible.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Re: Library title screen design

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:08 am
First of all I really like your shingles. They have a really nice shape and the shading is convincing. I wanted to do a proper edit and maybe I will when I have more time, but for now Here is a sloppy edit with my first impression.

The sections of color on the roof are implying a hexagonal prism shape for the building, yet the walls are clearly rectangular. The bottom image highlights a top view of what I imagine when looking at it- a hexagonal roof on a rectangular building.

I made a super fast edit of how this could look if you made the building itself hexagonal, by bringing out that midsection. I threw some pillars in to ty to make it more convincing, but it ended up making it a bit uglier.

I think you could do much better with the grass too. Rather than a bunch of straight green lines if you added some thickness and shading to the blades it'll help it clash less with the detailed roof tiles.

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:11:26 pm
First of all I really like your shingles. They have a really nice shape and the shading is convincing. I wanted to do a proper edit and maybe I will when I have more time, but for now Here is a sloppy edit with my first impression.

Heya Aniki, remember where the horizon is, the perspective of the roof needs to go the other way. :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:13:26 pm by Ozego »

Offline Final Ninja

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:41:14 am
I redesigned it in a hexagonal form, but I didn't realize until it was done that I hadn't followed the horizon advice. I'll try to fix it up along with adding some grass later.

I also figured that the light section of the hill should resume on the parts outside the house, so I made the shadow only behind the house.

For some reason I feel like the lighting and overall design is less convincing in this version. I'm also having trouble finding a good way to display the letters. I prefer the way the roof looks this way, though.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:14:58 am
You're missing the divide between the roof and middle there!
Edit: on other things, I'd consider a pathway to the door and perhaps some background objects to fill the scene more!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:31:10 am
Hey, that's looking better. Also I totally lead you astray as Ozego pointed out haha!

I learned about horizon lines when I was a little kid but I just never actually thought about using them. I think I've been making the mistake of drawing my perspectives backwards for my entire life and just couldn't figure out what was wrong.

ANYWAY, your perspective is just as backwards as mine. Check Ozego's post if you haven't already.

Aside from that, I think you could add some more interest to the building. Pillars at every vertical edge, a divider between the floors like you had originally, trim around the top where the walls meet the roof, etc.

Composition-wise I think the shadow would look a bit better if you made it a bit shorter so that it included the roof tiles. That way it wouldn't have the implication that it goes on forever.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:33:46 am by Aniki »