AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 398289 times)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #1140 on: September 08, 2007, 06:25:04 pm
Hmm... lessee... unpleasantly skinny. I can't see a person like that wielding weapons and carrying armor. Also missing right upper arm. Her face is long and thin and i guess you could start feeding them. Can't think of anything else right off the bat. Keep it up  :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1141 on: September 08, 2007, 08:18:20 pm
Hello Adarias. Your anatomy is improving steadily. Here is a draw over with various anatomical points. Keep in mind that I am not any sort of expert on anatomy and that a person with real anatomical skillz would think my stuff is hilarious also, but perhaps an intermediate step is good for people trying to become better.

a: your neck constructions are too extended and with too much emphasis on the back-of-neck muscles. This can be a style later on. Right now you need to pull the collarbones up where they should be and make the backs more solid

b:that position of the arm is a common mistake to people who structure humans holding weapons initially. But the human arm would never try to support a weight at that position, the arm would naturally move in the more comfortable state I have drawn it so it may utilise the whole set of muscles on the arm. Never put an arm holding something above the waist in such positions, avoid negative angles.

- the waist is unnaturally thin and cannot support that stance. Avoid supermodel thin waists on warrior women, generally. I'm not saying bulk them up to supermuscle (someone can be trained and conditioned to swing a weapon without looking like Conan) but you're going too far.

c: whereas most other measurements up to there were correct, the length of the thigh is very short.

d: your transition from shin to ankle was hesitant

e: look at more real people's feet in that perspective, I have a feeling you're not getting the shapes right.

If you want to make a woman who is not 8 feet tall (like most women are not) then you need to squish most measurements relatively equally. There *are* women with short legs or short torsos, but when working on anatomical sketches first perfect the perfect models and then work into exceptions.

Good work, generally, but studying of charts is in order more!

here is the psd file to switch my edit off and on as you desire

http://www.locustleaves.com/Girls.psd

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1142 on: September 08, 2007, 08:47:03 pm
hmm....i wonder if i haven't ended up with a huge-legged manlady?

btw, OT, but does anyone know how any programs to adjust monitor colors?  This computer's profile is so cold!  gray is literally power-blue
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1143 on: September 08, 2007, 09:04:24 pm
if you want here to be more feminine i would make the hips wider than the shoulders.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #1144 on: September 09, 2007, 04:58:32 am
if you want here to be more feminine i would make the hips wider than the shoulders.
I can't agree more. Most stereotypical strong men have huge arms and broad shoulders. I think it's safe to say they don't have very prominent hips. Women on the other hand do. The shape of a women is like an X while a mans is more like a Y (this is how I wrapped my head around the whole XY and XX thing in 7th grade biology). I think the shape of your characters is very important and their silhouettes alone should hint at their gender. So build some hips and don't make the shoulders any larger than they are now. I think that should do it.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #1145 on: September 09, 2007, 06:25:06 am
hmm....i wonder if i haven't ended up with a huge-legged manlady?

Remember that you've chosen a traditionally manly pose. The POV is from below (her eye level) and she's standing with her legs firmly on the ground, with a hammer on her shoulder. You could just as well have drawn a communist propaganda poster. Your choice makes for an interesting design though, I don't want you to change the stance. Perhaps you could take her right arm and lay it on top of the hammer so that her hand holds the end of the shaft instead. That would be a little more elegant without hinting to much on anything sexual.

I think your only problem is that you have the legs of one person and the upper body of another. They don't match each others perspective lines. The knees and feet suggest one thing while the shoulders and the chest suggest another. This is throwing you out of balance and you get the same problem old masters used to get when they used optical devices. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:27:19 am by robotacon »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1146 on: September 09, 2007, 07:00:51 am
yeah i was just looking at the feet.  Another trouble i'm running into is that i'm trying to make her look protective which I only know how to portray as strong which is pretty manly with everything squared and paired.  Will get to work on it, no worries.....:P

too late now though (3am and i've got a few more places to be before church tomorrow)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #1147 on: September 09, 2007, 10:54:19 am
Another head study. Any suggestions on improving this face, ignoring the ears (they aren't done).
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #1148 on: September 09, 2007, 11:56:38 am
yeah i was just looking at the feet.  Another trouble i'm running into is that i'm trying to make her look protective which I only know how to portray as strong which is pretty manly with everything squared and paired.  Will get to work on it, no worries.....:P

too late now though (3am and i've got a few more places to be before church tomorrow)

perhaps a more suitable method of illustrating a protective stance would be for the protector to stand in-between the agressor (suggested), and the young girl. You'd move the girl a bit closer to Marine, and have marine's hand outstretched in front of hesel (if that's what her name was :P) ; Hesel's pose seem's perfect for that sort of thing IMO. Lastly, I have a 2 second blasphemic piece of MS Paint as a rough example of what I'm getting at.

* note: you probably won't cover hesel's face as that would be unpleasant- I'd suggest the chest area or something around there.
*Part of what makes your character a bit less feminine than you might desire is the fact that she has "real size" coupled with the actual fat proportions of someone much smaller. By this, i mean that when changing the proportions, you should have also given her actual body shape more of a tweak; IMO it takes different proportions to make a sturdy female look femanine than a smaller one.
*Lovely stuff though.

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #1149 on: September 10, 2007, 04:20:40 am
The ideal waist for a woman is .7 of her hips, .9 for a male.

Source