AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 402535 times)

Offline Chalk

• View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #1070 on: August 20, 2007, 04:38:51 am
a kid had me write DOMAIN in his room

sketch

then i painted

then i finish

then you pose like a gangsta

and have a sketch ready for the next wall you want

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #1071 on: August 20, 2007, 04:45:55 am
if you are learning anatomy, don't start with hatching and cross-hatching, it's really only for people who've gotten to an advanced understanding of the geometries.  Try regular blending or better yet cross-contour shading to begin with.  When you can sculpt a convincing form, then try cross-hatching.  fi you jump in too early it will just be a mess.

EDIT: the reason being that lines enhance forms, so if you don't already understand which way the forms are oriented, you'll end up creating forms you never intended, or worse - no forms at all (too many conflicting lines).

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.  thanks :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1072 on: August 20, 2007, 09:41:09 am
ink rendering 'types' should always come last. First you learn to approach volumes with something that can actually produce levels (like a pencil, or ink wash, or charcoal) until you're pretty good at that. High-contrast inking is a small art-form in itself, and then bridging the white and the black with lots of little lines is the last step.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #1073 on: August 20, 2007, 02:35:35 pm
Based on one of my earlier pixels. (this one: http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/21697.htm )

Drawn and colored with a pencil. Did some tweaking in Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, but not very much.
My first real pencil drawing, usually I only make doodles but I've put more effort in this piece.
Oh, and the piece looks a bit blueish but I blame my lousy scanner >:(

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1074 on: August 21, 2007, 05:13:37 am
Just a sketch, believe it or not i didn't even notice the right arm was not there until i reviewed my post >.< :

Jacket based on an item from Daniel V's final Runway collection.

I'm not actually sure of the name, the original character was male and written as Paris, which was struck out for being too troy (although oddly enough, it was a Shakespeare reference).  The gender of the character was switched and the name changed to Olivia, but it later occurred to me that a female Paris still gets to have the Shakespeare reference without reminding anyone of orlando bloom (or maybe she does?  He's not the world's most masculine man....

I don't think anyone here cares about spoilers for an indie role-playing game that will not come out for 3 years but
She has the most spectacular death scene except for the main villain, blows up her own ship with enough explosives to almost kill King James.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:01:11 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1075 on: August 21, 2007, 08:27:17 am
I like it, though, I feel that her arm might be a tad long. If you stretched it out into its full length, her hand would almost touch her knee, arms aren't that long, are they?

Plus, she has no butt :( But that's not an error, it's just a matter of personal preference for me. (though her legs feel a bit short compared to her quite tall torso, a problem I also make when drawing stuff :\ IRL, I have quite a long torso compared to the length of my legs, something always present in my drawings. People tend to draw themselves into their drawings, something which is interesting :>)
' _ '

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1076 on: August 21, 2007, 03:58:35 pm
As usual I wasn't paying attention as it's a character sketch, not a piece of artwork, but in this case I have to wonder, do I measure things wrong? http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07342/ParisSketch2.jpg

I realize that i should have pulled the stomach in earlier and played up the hip line that comes through, but aside from that and her being practically anorexic I'm not seeing anything particularly wrong?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #1077 on: August 21, 2007, 04:28:58 pm
her elbow and hand are at almost exactly the correct relative heights...except her arm is bent.  Which means if it was hanging straight, her elbow would be almost at her crotch, and her hands would like jad sad practically reach her knees!

aside from that i think its really pretty :P  you guys should print an artbook for the game, these are exactly the kinds of rough sketches that i love to see accompanying the more chibified pixel art.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1078 on: August 21, 2007, 04:48:48 pm
goddamnit, overwrote the version i meant to post with lines drawn in.

http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07342/ParisSketch3.jpg

used pure rotation to pull the arm down and I just don't see them getting anywhere near the knee even with the shoulder sloping down on that side.  I'd need to increase the length of the arms in the neighborhood of 20-25% for them to be that long.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:51:37 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #1079 on: August 21, 2007, 05:14:35 pm
I dunno, it still looks wonky to me, the length that the arm appears to be makes it seem as if I'd have to dislocate my shoulder to imitate those proportions. I'm also not a real fan of the buttlessness of the character- weren't women larger around this time period? I might be mistaken.

EDIT: the dislocated feeling might be  due to the combination of the shoulder pads and the low elbow on that side. Maybe you should just nix the whole slanted idea in this perspective for clarity's sake. I love the actual artwork though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:16:54 pm by gliding »