AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 398232 times)

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #1030 on: August 08, 2007, 08:12:30 am
I'm not a huge graffiti fan, but quite a few of my friends are. My personal view on it is similar to Helm's: That it should be used for objection to political, enviromental, and cultural issues, rather than: 'OMG, a blank wall! Let's spray it with a three letter "tag" rather than actually put some time and effort into it!'
But yeah, I'm fine with motifs etc., just not the things that actually ruin the scenery. I was close to tears (well, sort of) when I found the same 'tag' all over the park. Trees, benches, nothing was spared. Then again, I take it that you live in the USA, so the grafitti culture over there might be a bit different to how it is over here.
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1031 on: August 12, 2007, 01:31:05 am
It's nto much, but this topic shouldn't go untouched for so long >.<

Disinherited heir to the throne of a kingdom conquered years before he was born yada yada... Nephew of Roarc from Partisan TB
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1032 on: August 12, 2007, 02:43:28 am

Half-finished. Based on photographic reference.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1033 on: August 12, 2007, 03:40:45 am
Nice thusfar, interesting brushwork.  The head seems a bit narrow though; at first i thought it was large eyes but no everything is in proportion except for the head itself.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1034 on: August 12, 2007, 04:24:45 am
Narrow? Strange, I'm not using a grid and I can't say my eyeballing is perfect but I don't think I'd screw up the width of my own head. If anything this is a bit more beautified than reality (one cannot help this when he's drawing himself I fear -- unless he's Schielle) but still proportionate. I'd chalk it up to having a realistic yet odd-shaped head if anything.

Once I'm more done I will post again, but I doublt the shape of the head will change.

The brushwork is a bit stupid for oils (in painter 9) since it's full opacity simple brush (no impasto) and then smaller brush for cross-hatching. I guess I'm trying to paint like I ink  :'( This is okay simply because it carries the lented strength that you get when working from photo. Applying the same technique to something done from imagination would show all my regular oil rendering shortcomings I fear. Still, I'm allowed to feel nice about myself once in a while by cheating, I guess...

Your image: shins too long, upper arms extremely overlong. Keep brain running every step of the way when you structure the human body.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #1035 on: August 12, 2007, 05:45:05 am
what's with the caption, where are you displaying this image?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1036 on: August 12, 2007, 01:46:44 pm
croquis are not intended to be anatomically correct (in fact, by the book it is demanded they be incorrect), but i should work on keeping anatomy straight even in pictures where i don't care about it.  Away from realism my attention to such things just goes to pot, and the fact that fashion sketches are supposed to be wrong isn't really a fantastic excuse, since many fashion designers are only modest artists :P

I stick by the narrow description, particularly as I do not remember photographs of your head making it seem overly slim or delicate, particularly around the chin, which in this has been forced into a very harsh angle.  Usually turning a pece of artowrk upside-down lets people see proportions better, but in this case I think it helps to turn your rightside-up.  Pull it to 105-107% and see if it doesn't look a little more like it ought.

The brushwork is a bit stupid for oils (in painter 9) since it's full opacity simple brush (no impasto) and then smaller brush for cross-hatching. I guess I'm trying to paint like I ink  Cry This is okay simply because it carries the lented strength that you get when working from photo. Applying the same technique to something done from imagination would show all my regular oil rendering shortcomings I fear. Still, I'm allowed to feel nice about myself once in a while by cheating, I guess...

If you like, just call it a tempera piece.  You would have needed to have spent far too much time and money aquiring and mixing and keeping wet such volumes of the paint, but it looks much more like egg tempera than oils.  Econmoic? Call it gauche :P.  Computers can do that pretty easily since real painting is pretty much nothing like digital.  It's all just manipulation of pixels and even good programs can only simulate a tiny fraction of what goes on.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:07:53 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1037 on: August 12, 2007, 03:47:25 pm
but i should work on keeping anatomy straight even in pictures where i don't care about it.

Yes.

what's with the caption, where are you displaying this image?

It's a reference to something else that is similar. This is the first place - and only, as usual- I've posted it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 06:22:57 pm by Helm »

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #1038 on: August 12, 2007, 04:59:45 pm
Did you just use img tags to quote? That boggles my mind.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1039 on: August 12, 2007, 06:23:12 pm
Fixed. I am sorry, I am tired.