AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 398149 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #840 on: June 08, 2007, 09:11:53 pm
Some good habits:

Find your good time - two to two-and-a-half hours like helm said is the ideal time I've found as well, and you must set out with the goal to accomplish something.  Some of my strongest pieces are literally 2 hours studies.

DON'T overwork a piece - if you have gotten to a point where the piece looks good and you are no longer learning from it, stop!  Move on to something else.
DO review your work - You will learn most form your mistakes.
DON'T give up - learning is about discovering new solutions; if you never try for those, you'll never find them.
DO vary your subjects - Drawing the exact same thing every day and nothing else will only make your hand hurt and your art stop getting better.

Push yourself - intentionally pick things that are attainable, but new.  If you've done it before, you won't learn much.  This can be as simple as changing the colors, or the lighting, or the angle, but you'll want to explore with each piece and pick things you aren't very good at in order to learn.

Enjoy your art - if you constantly go around saying that you'll never be as good as what'shisface, you'll end up right.  Be proud of each accomplishment while studying the good things and bad things that the master's do.

'sabout all for now i think.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #841 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:18 pm
All adarias said I echo. The strongest piece if advice I have for you is, when you set out to draw something and you fail, meaning you end up with a piece of artwork that you yourself feel below your aspiration, that's a real feeling of failure right there. That feeling separates the people that will become artists from those that will not. Some find it unbearable and give up on that artform or even art subject (some people don't draw women / horses / faces for many years as kids because the first time they tried it was completely hideous) completely. If you can help it, don't do this. Keep working, keep pushing.

Let me give you some incentive. I've gotten so much random attention from women for drawing okay, and most of the time I wasn't even trying! You can be a rock star by drawing as well! Think about it. DO YOU WANT TO BE LONELY FOREVER?!?!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #842 on: June 08, 2007, 10:08:13 pm
haha nice incentive helm, might not help the gay or female artists here though.
i use to be a very self discriminating artist. every piece i would ask myself" why is this so bad?" " why am i not as good as ______".
then as i was browsing an sb thread of a great artist at CA, he gave me some words of advice.
say to yourself, 10 times a day( i write it on my sketchpage of the day)" you are as good as you can be at this given point in time"
edit: forgto to say that since then, ive been generally happier with my work, ive had the tendancy to want to explore with more mediums, and dare i say my work has actually become much better than it use to be.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #843 on: June 08, 2007, 10:34:38 pm
I've never been upset with my suckiness when it comes to art, just sometimes disappointed, but who isn't, sometimes? Then I just say, "I'll try again when I get better, and more capable of carrying through with my vision." And when I see some awesome art, I don't say "Why am I not that good?" I say "I can't wait 'till I get that good." And more importantly: "What makes that good?"

Let me give you some incentive. I've gotten so much random attention from women for drawing okay, and most of the time I wasn't even trying! You can be a rock star by drawing as well! Think about it. DO YOU WANT TO BE LONELY FOREVER?!?!
I noticed that, too, and I'm not even that good, yet. Dey just be like makin' straight for me from far away, then lookin' over my shoulder for like minutes, then they be like "zomg ur like toatlly a kwl drawer u hav a gf?" And den I be like "Yo, bakdafucup."
When I hit lvl 62 with my graphite, I wonder how many grrls will be all up ons, then...:D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #844 on: June 09, 2007, 01:05:05 am
haha nice incentive helm, might not help the gay or female artists here though.
and that's why it rocks to be bisexual :P

Xion : lol, ur scuh a tard, liek, only nwbzorzs go 4 grpht points.  lvl62? i made that in 53 hours.  atm im stacking theory so once i get all the good gear i can pwn evry1.  then i'll have all the hos AND be teh best ranked on my server.

PS: i used to be Michaelangelo but i got hacked.

Realized that i was getting totally OT.  I don't have any art with me right now, but heres something; I don't know how much people here will be interested in novice photography tho :

shot on black and white film on a Canon FTb that my dad has had since he was in the marines :P.  Developed myself, which explains some of the imperfections of the print.  had to dodge the lower left like a bitch in order for the rest to even be visible >.<
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:20:45 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #845 on: June 09, 2007, 02:25:22 am
I spent half an hour on this, taking my time, really thinking about it. And here's what I got.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #846 on: June 09, 2007, 02:36:04 am
Nice, Zee. I can tell by that guy on the back of the page that this is probably a fair improvement for you. Cool shading on the mushroom and all.

That looks alot like my old stuff from like, 9 years ago.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #847 on: June 09, 2007, 02:39:34 am
The guy on the back or the mushroom looks like your stuff from nine years ago?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #848 on: June 09, 2007, 02:40:43 am
The guy on the back.
The mushroom is more like...7 years ago.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #849 on: June 09, 2007, 08:48:09 am
Omfg. Nice shot. Adarias gets 1000 leet points for getting his hands on such a camera. How'd you power up the thing? I don't think they make fitting batteries anymore.
Now i dare you to go and commit mass murder by shooting everything in sight.

Might as well throw in some photos myself, so here's a shot from the balkony: