AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 401417 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #640 on: April 06, 2007, 06:04:32 pm
I didn't say I wasn't going to finish it, I said I wasn't going to pixel it. It's finished, it's just not pixel art.

Those sentences just confused the hell out of me. Uhm, would the first sentence imply that you ARE going to finish it? The latter statement contradicts your first sentence: "It's finished, it's just not pixel art." What? The first sentence basically read as "I did NOT say I was NOT GOING to finish it, I said I was NOT going to pixel it." the "nots" kind of cancel each other out, I guess. I can see how someone may have gotten confused by your meaning. Although I think I know what you were trying to say. I thought that if you weren't going to finish it, it would be best written as " I said I wasn't going to finish it, nor pixel it. I like it as is."
   On the subject of disrespecting one's wishesl, at least he did it in this forum where you could see it. And I'm sure he didn't mean to offend you, Helm. But I guess Gil should have respected Helm's wishes, as it is his property. Oh well, no harm done, right?
   I like the colored mask, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the real face looks like. I can barely make out the eye (if I'm seeing correctly...) Hopefully there is a finished product in the future, so I can tell what exactly it is, or what's going on in the background.
   Oh, HMC, that's great! What type of medium did you use? It kind of reminds of Ptoing's digital style. One of these days, when I'm not so poor in the money bags region, I'm going to give traditional art a shot, again. I still draw/sketch every now and again, but it's nothing to shout about. Really, some of the stuff here is so Inspiring...
my back hurts...

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #641 on: April 06, 2007, 06:18:41 pm
Thanks, dude. Also, I just used acrylic paint on a 14x18 canvas board.

Offline mirage

• View Profile

Reply #642 on: April 06, 2007, 06:45:19 pm
Care to explain what the greek text says/means, Helm?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #643 on: April 06, 2007, 07:27:20 pm
Not particularily, sorry. I'm not going to cry over Gil editing it or anything, just was kinda odd when I asked there not to be any of that. People post a lot of stuff in the OT that is not looking for crits or edits, generally there's some showcasing as far as I can tell. And I don't mind critique about anything, even stuff I consider 'finished'. Just not edits on this one.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #644 on: April 06, 2007, 08:10:11 pm
Well i like the piece, though i didn't when i first viewed it for some reason. I think this may have been balance issues due to the colour drawing sight purely to one corner of the image and the amount of white space elsewhere, this inherently isn't a bad thing rather it is interesting but not initially aesthetically pleasing. I could read the most of the piece, however felt that the 'real' face was perhaps a little too obscured as i find it hard to read even now, I understand that it is meant to be shaded due to it's unsightliness but perhaps eluding a bit more of it. One small other concern i had on it was the colour on the 'real' face as it appears almost as though it is for that face as oppose to attaching it to the mask as i assume you are trying to depict. This which may detract slightly from the meaning of the image, of course this might just be my interpretation of what the underlining message of the piece is.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:12:39 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline mirage

• View Profile

Reply #645 on: April 06, 2007, 08:59:08 pm
Not particularily, sorry. I'm not going to cry over Gil editing it or anything, just was kinda odd when I asked there not to be any of that. People post a lot of stuff in the OT that is not looking for crits or edits, generally there's some showcasing as far as I can tell. And I don't mind critique about anything, even stuff I consider 'finished'. Just not edits on this one.

I'm not sure if you understood what i was asking for... you went on about the editing and whatnot, which was not what i was asking

The text in your picture is greek, but it's so messed up it's hard to tell what it says... if it's a personal thing then i will back off and apologise for even asking

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #646 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:12 pm
Mirage, only the 'not particularily, sorry' was in reply to you, the rest was about the issue in general. My bad for not making the two bits of text separate.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #647 on: April 07, 2007, 01:18:54 am
helm - cool idea with the colors, but it gets hard to make much when you only have 3-4 visually distinct values.  out of curiousity, what is different about the finished version, besides media?

its a long way to go, only about a hour and a half into the painting (minus some time at the start and end of the studio session for setup/cleanup) with 3-5 hours mroe to go and i cant really continue until i draw the lion in properly.....but ryu keeps asking where the piece is going so i figured id make this one my post.  Right now its all blocking, refining will come later.

PS i hate my camera.  lousy compression......
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #648 on: April 07, 2007, 05:18:27 am
woo! turning out awesome man.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #649 on: April 07, 2007, 08:49:34 am
helm - cool idea with the colors, but it gets hard to make much when you only have 3-4 visually distinct values.  out of curiousity, what is different about the finished version, besides media?

This is the finished version. It's not pixel art because there's no attention paid to every pixel. I don't understand how what I originally said was vague enough to cause all this construsion, but here we go again: I started making this intending to go all pixel art on it. When I arrived at the state posted above, I saw that adding more stuff, detail, dithering, refining the lineart, whatever, seemed to take away rather than add to it, in my eyes. That is usually a good point to stop working on a piece of artwork. Therefore I called it finished and posted it in the OT-Creativity thread.