AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 398123 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #550 on: March 27, 2007, 04:19:09 pm
Draw whatever you want. I'm just amazed that there is a process in which a person ends up drawing something like this. It is amazing and horrifying.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #551 on: March 27, 2007, 06:37:54 pm
what would be wrong with drawing a small-breasted human gypsy-girl?  the DD furry thing is what throws my stomach into a spin.  Your subject can be unique, exotic and even attractive without the strange animal sex vibe.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #552 on: March 27, 2007, 07:06:41 pm
There's nothing really wrong with your subject matter, Digitaldust, it's just that most people that frequent these forums aren't into the whole Androgynous animal look. Well, maybe some(Rox), but most of us aren't. Well, I guess I'm being full of myself, taking up the whole forum's opinion, so I'll just say that in my humble opinion, I'm not into that type of art. Plus that's two furries( I think), and seeing as how you are in a place of growth, I'd try breaking out of old habits, and trying new concepts, not necessarily boring, human, anatomy. You seem to have a good grip on dynamic poses, try it on something else...
my back hurts...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #553 on: March 27, 2007, 07:12:36 pm
Well, I'm fine with the whole androgynous animal look (As long as they aren't naked or otherwise have the capacity for mental scarring), it's the combination of that and the fact that they're all the size of whales.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #554 on: March 27, 2007, 07:46:18 pm
theres nothing androgynous about it?

mirre - that's a great start, the only thing that i think is really out fo whack is the size of the dude at the head of the table.  all the others seem to be in pretty clear persepective.

one thing i would point out though is that linear perspective begins to break down when you stray too far from the horizon line, like your very acute table edge there.  linear was designed with really one purpose - to simplify the near-straight projections that things near the horizon tend to align with.  the problem is that 3d simply doesnt fit nicely onto 2d. 

I would suggest you either stay away from the higher angles to avoid the oddities that crop up, or try some spherical or cillindrical perspecive techniques.  These might seem tricky at first, but you have a good grasp of the linear or i wouldnt suggest it, and they tend to achieve much more pleasing results when you get off of the horizon.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #555 on: March 27, 2007, 08:57:35 pm
theres nothing androgynous about it?

Was that questioning a previous statement, or was it meant to be a statement?

Any who, I kinda' believe them to be. His first piece confused me, as to what type of gender it was, with the whole beefy, furry thing. I could, honest to God, not tell if it was a boy or girl. Maybe I'm just an easily confused boy, who can't tell subtle differences between masculine sexes, or something. My badz...

Buccaneer and wench, finding treasure.

I love your stuff, man. It's great, and the hatching makes it classy. For some reason, though, his left leg seems kind of short, compared to his right. I get the fact that he is standing on slanted/angled ground, but for some reason, my mind is making it seem as if one leg is shorter than the other. I would suggest bending that leg a bit, or taking some of the harsher shadows away from it. I can't quite put my finger on it....Looks great though....
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #556 on: March 28, 2007, 03:29:54 am
Mirre, old comic alert, there's something I want to explain. For everybody else, this is a 3 year old comic, so there's not much point to critique, I know most errors. But shoot if you want.

Check panel 3, top row. It's fine to use drastic, almost broken perspective when it achieves something. I wanted a bit of tenseness and confinement in the panel, so I drew it sharp angle. Remember: comics art isn't fine art. It neither tries to represent reality as close as possible (like a biological schema) nor does it to be as clear and formally constructed as possible. And most of all, most important of all all all: comics aren't cinema. Don't think like a cinematographer only. Comic art tells stories, conveys sequential passages of meaning and emotion, they must stand on the holistic level (the page spread or canvas you're using) and on the dualistic level (panel and panel before it and panel after it). They're not cinema shots, in a linear, strict path where time is not implied but directed.

Your picture may be single, but it's clear to me you're working in comics-art-mode, thusly, I wouldn't tell you to *not* use sharp perspective as a rule, just to use it only when you are trying to convey some unrestful emotion. Your scene is ANYTHING but restless, it's the most comfortable and relaxed gathering of friends it could be. Thusly I would suggest a less 'dynamic' angle. Seriously, don't try to convey so much three-dimentional space unless such exposition fits the mood. This is the sort of setup I'd draw in very calm 'european' two-point, not sharp or obstructing.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #557 on: March 28, 2007, 03:52:48 am
I brought my popart I was painting at school home a few weeks ago and I took a photo today;

its roughly 2.5m by 1.5m and not finished.
and yup, IP abuse :P but it was a request that Im selling once Ive finished
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #558 on: March 28, 2007, 04:31:50 am
Oh that is pretty badass looking Taka. Keep up the good work  :).

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #559 on: March 28, 2007, 04:56:38 am
Being a Street Fighter whore, myself, I'm instantly attracted to this. My only question is what's with the black necks?
my back hurts...