AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 398119 times)

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #370 on: February 25, 2007, 10:03:40 am
Fucking Hot Rymura.

Serouisly, your such an insparation to me.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #371 on: February 26, 2007, 03:18:42 am
somehow i just today discovered this topic.  how did i miss this? (i assumed it was off-topic discussions like on most forums, where people talk about random shit)

not much, but it's what i was doodling while i was looking at posts.  Conceptual art for Sigurd Fafnir's-Bane, as per his description in the nieblung saga.  would that i could read old-english better though, as some words i couldnt understand at all.  Messed up the beard a bit, it should be golden-red like his hair, but because i couldnt get the texture right before i lost all of the lightness it ended up....well, a lot like how my own grows in - much darker than my hair.

also, about the ink issue on the last page: i think it should really be a personal choice, not some formulaic bullshit style that gets a page done a day for the boss, especially since once you learn how to do it well, your own style will be much faster than the formulas.  People like Kojima and Miller and Frazetta are respected for definging their own styles; the former by his super-loose ink-and-wash tehcniques, the second by his extreme lighting and "gritty" texturing, and the third for his combination of both before either of the others was even born.  On the other hand, people like Buscema are respected for getting lots and lots of stuff done pretty well.  Whoever did that tutorial is going to be one of a million and a half wanna-be Buscema's.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:24:23 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #372 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:40 am
Kojima? Hideo Kojima of MGS games? He doesn't do any art as far as I know.

Would you like critique on your piece of artwork?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #373 on: February 26, 2007, 11:41:03 am
Goseki Kojima.  Not the most masterly of artists, but certainly a unique on in the industry.

i wasn't looking for critique of such a sketch but i certainly wont mind it.  you might find it difficult to point out all the mistakes though ^^, i didnt realise how many there were until i scanned it and saw it at about twice the original size (at least, thats how large it is on my monitor.)  IT would be good to hear though, since the sketch is the basis for a project im going to be starting; illustrating the life of Sigmund (chapters 13-30 of the nieblung / volsunga saga)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:43:22 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #374 on: February 26, 2007, 08:23:11 pm

Yey! Spazzy pose (bad anatomy) ftw.  :-X

Haha Adarias, the first thing i thought when i saw that was an older version of the long haired you in your avatar..  :y:

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #375 on: February 26, 2007, 08:42:21 pm
There's a lot of little things that I'm not sure I like about it, Larwick. The way her hair flows, how thin she is around her midsection, how big her hands seem, her right leg seems chunky compared to the left, and I think that for wearing two shirts, her body is too well defined.

I do like the wardrobe you've given her, and the colors are really appealing. Love the orange, everytime.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #376 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:15 pm
I think the face looks sort of manly. Could be just me though.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #377 on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:22 pm
I thought she was a man until I took a closer look. I suggest making the face more feminine and making the shoulders smaller. And just to be really picky... the strong light on her white top would reflect onto the underside of her brown sleeve. Great piece though.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #378 on: February 27, 2007, 06:52:22 am
i wasn't looking for critique of such a sketch but i certainly wont mind it.  you might find it difficult to point out all the mistakes though

I didn't intend to crit-rape it, just a few things that jumped at me when I saw it.

My main issue is the nose. Noses are difficult, especially for people that might come from anime-type backgrounds. The volumetrics of a nose aren't exactly something I have a mastery of (I tend to make way too many same-type noses, based on my own, as is usual) but when I sketched out the nose you had made (in the middle) various faults in formation became clearer. The biggest thing is when to show or not to show the nosetril connection to the face. I think it's a matter of from which level one looks at the face, but generally I'd suggest connecting nosetril-hole to the curve that shapes the nosetril, otherwise it just looks very odd. I have a good friend and comic artist that did what you did on this piece for years before he decided to study noses more. I hope the edit helps a bit. Furthermore, in the edit, check out the bright white under the eye-bag, it's one of these things that really make a face seem more alive if you add them. Furthermore, I added a few more light planes to the left side of the face, not strictly realistic but to help show the shape and volume. The left eye was too high I think. Then again perhaps not, I didn't take the tilt of the face too much into account. I added a flat light in the left side of that little thing we have under our nose whose name escapes me, since it'd make sense to catch light from the right-lightsource, and see how it helps define that area a bit more?

The main reason I wanted to critique the nose is that your avatar, and and two older pieces you had made had similar nose-problems if memory serves.

Larwick, it's a nice piece, of all the things I'd be careful with the gesturing left arm, as the wrist cannot withstand that placement.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:57:35 am by Helm »

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #379 on: February 27, 2007, 11:02:00 am
Did this piece this weekend:

The character belongs to NibbleKat. I had fun playing around with this piece, and I'm really happy with how the frills and lace and stuff came out... and the shoes! The style is supposed to look a bit Victorian and romantic. It's also obviously inspired by the gothic lolita clothing style. The character wears a mask because she has blown away most of her face in an accident as a teen. I messed up a little when inking the fingers, so no need to comment on that.