AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 402825 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Pixelation OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #240 on: January 16, 2007, 12:44:25 am
Yes, just noticed, sorry for mispelling your nickname.

Also, it might be a good idea to invest more time into getting to draw hands.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #241 on: January 16, 2007, 09:12:47 am
Thanks guys

Larger and clearer version here

Helm: Heh, yeah. I've been meaning to start doing hand studies daily, but.. it's been two years since I told myself that, so we'll see if I get around to it eventually.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #242 on: January 16, 2007, 07:33:39 pm
Aaaand another piece (sorry for the humongous file-size)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #243 on: January 16, 2007, 11:07:43 pm
Here's some more nudity for this topic :D

My original character, Shayna. I did this piece for a weekly random original character thingie over at Private Exchange (an art exchange community). I also know perfectly well that she doesn't have average ...proportions.

The breasts are more superfirm than super-big, and for a warrior-type person that gets constant physical training, that's not really that unrealistic. Your problems with this aren't with the breasts at all. They are with anatomy errors. The upper body is way too big for the lower half. The upper arms are too short (the navel-----middle of arm thing is good to remember), the right wrist nonexistent. I did a small edit adressing these things, you can be the judge if that sort of attention to anatomy helps your art or not.

Work on hands a lot because they are extremely useful in comics, next to faces to show emotion in body language.

EDIT: also, junkboy, do you plan to do ink on paper instead of digital inking? If so, I'd be glad to see how your natural line is. Additionally, what sort of noise brush do you use in photoshop? Custom one, one you found online? It's one of the useful little things I haven't bothered to make in ps yet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:13:33 pm by Helm »

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #244 on: January 16, 2007, 11:59:54 pm
Thanks Helm, that's some really useful help! Especially with the hands and arms. I try to practsie as often as I can, but I didn't have any other person nearby for reference this time, except for myself in a mirror, so that might be where the errors come from. You addressed one of the main problems I had (the underside of the hand to the right). Though, I didn't mean that her breasts were a problem, I merely wrote it so that people wouldn't complain about her breast size or something. It is a part of her character traits. Nothing she likes herself, and she gets very pissed off if people give her "comments" about them. Same thing about her waist and hips (which aren't very wide). She's supposed to look a bit anorexic (sp?) in that area, but maybe I went too far.

Oh, and Junkboy; amazing art! That Evil Dead one has some ace crosshatching techniques. It looks very professional.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #245 on: January 17, 2007, 01:13:45 am
Please keep in mind that I am not amazing at anatomy, much less female anatomy, so always use pro reference, life reference or even 3d-poser-type reference (if just for the sizes/lengths, avoid the 3d model stiffness). I still see things that could be better with this but nitpicks will not benefit you much at this time I think.

Faktablad, I just listened to the song: I am uncertain about what the mood should be, those minor seconds repeated all the time make me feel unease but the rest of the orchestration is quite soothing. I think you should dampen the high end of the hapsicordish rhythm voice, and wash the organ sound, or even the whole mix in just a bit more natural reverb. The chord progression feels a bit wandering and uncertain too. However, all these things said, I must say I enjoy the mood. It's a bit dark ambient, a bit minimalist composition (though without the architectural complexity of Steve Reich or anything)... not too sure about when the piano and fuller string sound comes in though. A bit too 'movie soundtrack'.

If there would be one big pointer, it is that it seems to me that your leading voice wanders. This in compositional terms means that the voice plays notes, and these notes do not lead the interest of the listener towards places from relative instability ( seconds, fourths, sevenths) to stability (octaves, fifths, thirds) often enough to give the impression of an intentful melodic journey. There's a lot of interval clusters here and there, almost as if your mind goes 'okay this chord and theeeenhhhmhmmmmm okay THIS chord!' but that's not how you should write a leading voice. It should be a predefined journey, the composers overview should be holistic, not stuck on what will happen the next second.

There's also quite a bit more harmonic clashing than I think you intend, but that may just be me being a bit more sensitive to such than most people really would care to consider important.

Please keep posting music.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #246 on: January 17, 2007, 06:20:33 pm
low-poly modeling today using wings.  I've immediately fell in love with that program

30 min, 1823 polys.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #247 on: January 18, 2007, 04:59:53 am
Thanks for the crits, Helm.  I'm not great at writing melodies, so my GarageBand pieces up to this point have consisted mostly of ambient/background style pieces, trying to get the groove down, orchestration down, etc.  So you've hit the nail on the head in terms of my major area that needs improvement.  Most of the harmonic clashing is intended, though I may have gone a bit overboard.  Nearly all of it can be attributed to the use of the 4th and 3rd in the same chord (which creates this wonderful resolved-yet-unresolved feeling), the major seventh and the octave, and the root and 2nd (or 9th).  I'm a sucker for goofy chords like major 9ths and major 9th sharp 11ths.  Thanks again, you're much more helpful than those guys over at Young Composers.

And just for you, here's a piece for piano that I wrote last year (I also wrote a tenor saxophone part which I'm not sure I have anymore  :huh:)
http://media.putfile.com/Imber
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:05:03 am by Faktablad »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #248 on: January 18, 2007, 05:31:50 am
No worries. Newer piece, lots of stuff happening, but not cohesive. But it's an old piece, there's no point to critique it heavily.

Last piece of piano music I did was this and I never had time to do more in this style.

(well I guess there's a piano section in this too http://www.locustleaves.com/music/combinatorial_gyroscope.ogg)

EDIT: I worked a bit with real media

I need to work more
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:29:43 am by Helm »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #249 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:50 am
That's a great piece, Helm. Reminds me a lot of european comic albums, with that ink/gouache (?) mix.

About your question earlier, yes, I definitely plan on working more with natural media. But seeing as how I'm still struggling to figure out this whole inking business (I'm still much to lineart dependent, for example), I'll just practise with CG for now. The brush is a tool in Painter9 called Pepper Spray (wich I think nicely replicates toothbrush splatter).