AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 402458 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #1010 on: August 07, 2007, 01:38:24 pm
Thing is, if you are in the graffiti scene you know all the people (or at least the ones who reach a certain status) and you will be able to recognise their stuff anyway. There are enough graff-mags out there anyway. Also on words being a means of communication, that as everything else can be bent. Basically you have a very smooth transition from type as readable letters to type as graphical element, be it readable or not. Graffiti just usually is on the lesser readable more designy side.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #1011 on: August 07, 2007, 02:44:10 pm
Well, that's an aspect too. Some people INVENTED styles that they became famous for. "Style" in this case means "way of making your name unreadable unless you figure it out".

If you're consistent in style, people will know you maybe not by name, but by how your pieces look. They might spot a piece and go "Hmm... oh, it's THAT guy! I knew I'd seen that first squiggly before."

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1012 on: August 07, 2007, 03:46:25 pm
Urban territorial piss-wars. Tagging as a form of summoning private ownership to destroy public ownership. Who owns this wall now, bitch? Say my name. My name is a brand. I am selling myself and you will remember as long as I keep telling you.

If this is what graffity communicates, then yes, I am much more interested in the design than 'what it says'.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2007, 04:15:40 pm
Good point. I never been a fan of graffiti on buildings and tagging up every wall that comes into your sight. There are places which imo are better suited for graffiti, like blank concrete walls, dull highway bridges and stuff like that. People who graf or tag onto nice old buildings or statues and stuff like that need to be smacked around the head.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #1014 on: August 07, 2007, 04:56:43 pm
Dude aliased Mook got pretty (in)famous around Pittsburgh for tagging hard-to-reach places like the sides of bridges and overpasses and really high walls and stuff.

I dunno, I thought it was kind of relevant.

But as for graffiti, I really love the style (which I have tried and failed to emulate) and have fun trying to pick out words. Usually the style renders it illegible, but Chalk, I can read yours fine.

Offline Chalk

• View Profile

Reply #1015 on: August 07, 2007, 07:43:21 pm
it is very interesting to see your guys opinions on this.
there are many different kinds of graff which is a common misconception among most people. most people think all graffiti is tagging ( markers or straight can work to quickly put up your name ) or throw-ups ( bubblish letters usually 2-3 colors, and can be either the whole name or the commonly the first and last letter of the name. )
but of course there is the wild style where it can be impossible for the non graffer to read at all. but with much practice and understanding you will see excelent letter structure with logical extensions that do not distract from the letters.
as for me i tend to stick to 'mild' style where letters are not quite wild but are contorted but still with structure.
along with drawing the pieces i do go out and activly paint. I usually look for places no one will ever find except for perhaps another artist.
I am also very active in the stenciling world. where my placements are normaly bolder wich much more of an audience. I tend to do site-spesific designs where the stencil is designed for just that one location and is never painted again.

perhaps i should try to pixel my peices as it has been so long for me to wield a mouse.
and maybe i'll post some actuall painted pieces later.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #1016 on: August 07, 2007, 08:16:57 pm
Well, Helm... That's what tagging is, yes.

Luckily, larger pieces aren't tags, so they usually don't serve the same purpose. Graffiti can be horribly ugly when people do it... wrong. Or out of selfishness. But when a real artist puts his piece on a strategically selected wall, it's artwork, and he paints it not for himself, but for people who are going to see it. I've seen both types, but they're both rare up here. Tags are pathetic cries for attention. But there are some full-wall pieces in a larger city I've been to a few times that continue to blow my mind. And they fit in. Not because it's junk in a junky neighborhood, it's a very tidy and pretty town. And in the middle of it, in an alley that's still very visible from one of the streets, there's a cascade of well-arranged colors in a vaguely letter-like patterns that people look at as they pass.

Me, I've had fun messing with the thought of being a graffiti artist for some time. But what really sparked it was when some kid, probably new in town, started painting these random white lines and curves on a couple of walls back in my old town. One of them was on the side of my apartment. Likewise, on a much more visible street here in my new town, there's a huge concrete wall where some youngsters have been writing offensive things about each other with spray paint.

Painting that stuff over with something that could actually resemble art just seems like a good thing to me. Hard to vandalize something that's already shock full with badly written insults.

Offline Chalk

• View Profile

Reply #1017 on: August 07, 2007, 08:27:59 pm
just some of my stuff.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1018 on: August 07, 2007, 09:31:41 pm
yeah chalk I like your newly posted stuff, particularly the girl.  I still think in the first one, the additions to the C and the K make it read as *hal*, and only by knowing your sn can i see it.

the trouble I have with the people who go way out of their way to make it so that it is only clear to them is that they are often extremely pretentious (if you don't get the bends and breaks, you aren't as good as me).  I have this trouble with the majority of underground/counterculture, which thrives on the fact that they are just as arrogant and exclusive as the mainstream.  There are of course those in any field who are both genuine and talented, but these are regrettably few.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1019 on: August 07, 2007, 11:10:22 pm
I actually prefer the concept of graffiti as destruction of ownership, illegal and loving it, a sort of aesthetic guerilla warfare instead of this washed-up bullshit version of 'oh, our gray cities, let us make ART of them!'. Not just talking about tagging, but also the extravagantly drawn names like what chalk is posting. Who is to say I prefer the CHALK under the bridge by the brook when I hang there than the gray wall? The artist wouldn't care what I prefered of course, as well he shouldn't. His aim isn't to please me. Drawing something super-cool which still in the end reads 'My name' is pretty bankrupt in terms of communication, it's still your name. Obviously you're looking for some other effect by doing it: it's awesomely drawn, so now your name will be associated with your 'mad skillz'. It's not awesomely drawn to the effect that the art will have a profound effect on the lives of those that look at it. This is why children become attracted to the graffiti subculture (think about the demoscene connotations), because they realise this connection straight away: 'this is awesomely done - the person that did this is an awesome artist - I want to do this myself'. It's an ego show, an artificial field in which to excell and become the top dog.

Stencils I find usually carry much more meaning artistically than a word spelled in jaggy letters.