AuthorTopic: [C + C] Minimalistic pixel man walk cycle help  (Read 2367 times)

Offline LDeezy

• Pixel noob
    • View Profile

[C + C] Minimalistic pixel man walk cycle help

on: December 31, 2016, 05:11:35 am
Hello, new user here! I have recently been interested in pixel art (specifically in games). While I am not very good at art (drawing), I want to learn how to make pixel art for video games.

As a starting point I looked up images on Google. This is the image I found to use as a starting point:

DISCLAIMER - that is not my artwork.

From there, I made a variation of that style:

My first question is should I make the size of the sprite bigger?
Also any advice on making him look better?

I then tried to make a walking animation:

I have NO IDEA what I am doing haha. I messed with the upper body a little but ended up just leaving it because I don't have a clue where to start.

So specifically my main question is: How do I make a realistic or simple walking animation? I realize the upper body isn't moving so it would also help to provide some pointers for upper body movement. I'm not necessarily asking for you to completely rework my sprite (although if you feel so inclined...), but I would definitely like to learn and try. I just don't know where to start.

I appreciate any and all criticism and help. I had fun trying, and hope I can learn through you all!

Offline RunninBlood

• @RunninBlood
    • RunninBlood
    • View Profile

Re: [C + C] Minimalistic pixel man walk cycle help

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 10:33:39 am
Hey LDeezy,

I agree it looks a bit weird without having the upper body moving, but still, the walk animation is pretty decent already.
This image should really help you make a good walk cycle:

Hope it gets you further  :)

Offline LDeezy

• Pixel noob
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:43:17 pm
RunninBlood thank you for the diagram! I will post a revised version later today.

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:09:28 pm
I think the right knee stays bent too long, or when the legs obscure one another I lose track of which leg is which. Maybe you should change the color so one can tell them apart better? Also the torso and hands need to move as he goes.

Offline LDeezy

• Pixel noob
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:40:04 pm
Kairos thank you for the comment! I agree a color change would help. Should I make the back leg (his left, our right) darker? Or the front leg lighter?

Here is an update on the walk animation. I have not started with the upper body yet.

Offline LDeezy

• Pixel noob
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 02:09:36 am
***UPDATE***
I have finally made a somewhat competent upper-body motion, and a different leg cycle.

Tell me what you think about this! I think it's definitely better than the start, but still tons of room for improvement.

Specifically:
- should I have the belt move or remove that?
- how do I make the head move up and down? (for example, do I elongate the neck, the torso, etc ?)
- I put one leg white to make it clear what is going on. Should I use a darker or lighter shade or blue for that leg?