AuthorTopic: Struggling in Isometric drawings  (Read 1517 times)

Offline alfari0n

• View Profile

Struggling in Isometric drawings

on: December 30, 2016, 01:23:53 am
Hello Everyone!
I finally managed to make a proper style for my character . As I want to make the character to move in 8 directions, I am struggling with the so called "3/4" view. I think I managed to create a front 3/4 drawing,but I am struggling with the "back  3/4" view . ( character turned to south-east,don't know how to explain in other words).
1)I am asking for some example or description how to make it look like char is really turned the proper way. (In my sketches  char looks like he is "plane" or just turned his back).
2) How does the shoulder belt looks like? Is it fine of I should improve it? Any suggestions?
3)Also made an animation (front animation  with the sword) I am not sure that I made a proper shadow on the sword. Is it fine ? will be pleased to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
4) Also I am not sure about side view. How does it looks like?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Struggling in Isometric drawings

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 02:34:43 am
The sword looks pretty good honestly. Metal is hard to shade, but the shimmery effect you have going here looks accurate enough I wouldn't notice any flaws in-game.
However, it feels incongruous with the less-detailed everything else. Sucks to reccomend against all that work but it might look better to eliminate that shading altogether in favor if a uniform light-grey/limited shading blade.
on the 3/4ths view, I do see SOMETHING off but I'm not 100% on what it could be. My first instinct is the arm positioning and the angle on the leftmost coat bit, though. See if you can mess around with those a bit to see if you can sell the angle a bit more.
He's also missing his other shoe.

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Re: Struggling in Isometric drawings

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:06:07 am
Most of it looks fine, including the sword.

About the 3/4ths view, I feel like the biggest offender that ruins the perspective is the coat - here's a quick fix for you to understand what I mean.

The side view looks odd cause of the placement of the feet - they're in the same line. Remember, everything should be in perspective, at least everything you can manage and isn't too small to imply perspective. Also, the pose looks slightly stiff, the arch of the back is too intense. Lean his head over forward more.

What you should NOT do is mix pixel sizes in the same character.