AuthorTopic: RPG monster - Need crits  (Read 10649 times)

Offline Exithium

• View Profile

RPG monster - Need crits

on: October 14, 2006, 09:20:30 pm
I haven't posted anything here since this February, so its about time I post something.
Anyway, heres a dragon thingy I've been working on for a RPG game;

As you can see its quite W.I.Pish at the moment, yet I could use some crits to make it look better and
I can really use some tips on how to shade those wings of his :P
The style im going for is the monster style from Final Fantasy 6 and Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES.

Im aware of some palette issues on this piece.. especially the darker shades which are way dark.
Anyway, crit this piece for me so I can finish it.. Ive been working on it way too long now. :/

- Current Version -

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:34:23 pm by Exithium »

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: RPG monster - Need crits

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:28:08 pm
I'm far to bad to give crits, but let me tell you that this is GREAT. Really.

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:26:39 pm
Heavenly father! Nice! Great! I like it. How good are you on lower resolutions?

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:06:18 pm
I like this a lot, the only thing that seems to be bothering me is the Grey's used for the body, they seem to be more of shades you would use on stone, he looks solid as if a statue to me, posibly try experimenting with more blue/green/orange hues to add more color :) could just be me though.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:13:42 pm
Looks cool, but doesn't match the style of anything else you've done. Do you have a reference?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:24:58 pm
I agree with progFX that more color would help a lot, you could kick the highlights up a notch and increase the contrast a bit everywhere. At the moment, the three darkest shades are awfully close together. I also think you might've concentrated a bit too hard on the texture and not enough on the overall form, the face is a good example of that. The arms stand out a bit to me as well, they seem to be lit from the side, rather than the top, like everything else.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 12:02:30 am
The claws are all funky, the shading should be so scattered, with that much contrast, atleast.
And the tail should be more curved, looks wierd as it is.

Besides that, nice.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Exithium

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 01:01:29 am
I like this a lot, the only thing that seems to be bothering me is the Grey's used for the body, they seem to be more of shades you would use on stone, he looks solid as if a statue to me, posibly try experimenting with more blue/green/orange hues to add more color :) could just be me though.

Now when you say it.. it should definately use some more color. cheers for the crit.

Looks cool, but doesn't match the style of anything else you've done. Do you have a reference?

Thanks, but what are you refering to, what other work have I done? :p
And no.. I didnt use a reference for this, I drew it from scratch from an idea I had in my head.

I agree with progFX that more color would help a lot, you could kick the highlights up a notch and increase the contrast a bit everywhere. At the moment, the three darkest shades are awfully close together. I also think you might've concentrated a bit too hard on the texture and not enough on the overall form, the face is a good example of that. The arms stand out a bit to me as well, they seem to be lit from the side, rather than the top, like everything else.

I definately agree about the arms.. there was something bothering me about them and now when you say it, altering the lightning should do the trick..
"too hard on the texture and not enough on the over form", hmmm.. Im not really sure what you mean by this.. but I guess its just me.. english isnt my native language and its 2:59 am in the morning so I might be able to understand you in the morning :P

The claws are all funky, the shading should be so scattered, with that much contrast, atleast.
And the tail should be more curved, looks wierd as it is.

Besides that, nice.
What claws do you mean, the ones on the arms, wings or the feet?
And about the tail, its being fixed as Im writing this ;)

cheers for the crits everyone. keep em comming!

- EDIT -

Updated:

Im playing around with the colors , added some more detail and I fixed some of the highlights on the arms.

- EDIT2 -

Another update:

Im still playing around with the colors.. tell me what you guys think.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 11:17:14 am by Exithium »

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 07:31:02 pm
Personally, I think that you should use the gray colour for the image. Either that, or change the colour of the dark parts to better fit with the green. Otherwise there's too much contrast.

Great dragon, though :)

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 07:36:25 pm
Keep the gray, but be informed that with gray, it looks like a gargoyle, even with the wings.