AuthorTopic: Basic pixel art on a tablet?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline darthcervantes

• View Profile

Basic pixel art on a tablet?

on: December 15, 2016, 07:57:16 pm
Hi all.  I'm new here.  I'm more of a pixel art "enthusiast" than a pixel "artist" as I'm just having some fun with it. 

That being said, I am trying to do what should be a simple thing here but not sure the best way to go about it.  I'd like a tablet that I can make 32x32 or maybe 64x64 sprites in a grid that I can use a stylus.  So instead of clicking the grid boxes with a mouse to fill them in, i'd like to do it all on a tablet.

I've been using gimp and sometimes this online app called "Piskel" and I like how I can set up a grid of any size in Gimp and also like the simplicity of Piskel but I'd like a tablet or something similar where I can just make simple sprites like this.  I'm not a pro so I'm not looking to break the bank on some super crazy tablet.  I also have an old Ipad 1 but that doesn't support any new software so there is really nothing I can do with that.  I also have the Nintendo Wii U but all of their art apps don't let you export :(

So anyway, some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Long story short, I want to make sprites on a tablet by tapping on the grid boxes (like with a stylus on a tablet instead of a mouse).

Thanks

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Basic pixel art on a tablet?

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:24:07 pm
just look up graphics tablet on amazon, there's a bunch of sub-$50 options and they are all fine for pixel art.

If you meant a tablet as in a screen you can draw on, those are more expensive and only worth it if you're actually drawing high resolution. pixel art doesnt require a ton of accuracy, which is what those options afford.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Re: Basic pixel art on a tablet?

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:55:34 am
If your tablet runs Android, you can search for "pixel art" app on the Play Store. Use "Pixel Art editor" for simple arts and "Pixly - Pixel Art Editor" for many features.