AuthorTopic: Too bright colors?  (Read 9089 times)

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Re: Too bright colors?

Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 09:22:18 am
I got a lot inspiration from Future boy conan which is directed Hayao Miyazaki.. So Its amazing that you can see my influence by mile. The world of Future boy conan is colorful which is based on  post apocalyptic world.. Its very old anime series.  I wanted create similar world. I personally dont wanna bleach that much. I made it colorful because I like bright color + yeah anime :) Im just worried that my color might be just too bright for other people with different monitor.
There's your answer. Your original colors perfectly communicates what you want to achieve. People always comment on colors when they have nothing to say because it is the most subjective element.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 02:43:52 pm
Future Boy Conan used its more saturated colours sparingly, it didn't fill the screen with them. The anime felt bright specifically because it juxtaposed bright colours with more subdued colours, making the brighter colours feel even brighter, while also not causing eye strain.
Study how it used colours, not just the colours it used.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 03:20:31 pm
There's your answer. Your original colors perfectly communicates what you want to achieve. People always comment on colors when they have nothing to say because it is the most subjective element.
People comment on what they see, and it's down to the artist to clarify it if he wants critique to take other considerations, like inspirations or intent, into account. We all have different frames of reference after all :)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 03:40:24 pm
Future Boy Conan used its more saturated colours sparingly, it didn't fill the screen with them. The anime felt bright specifically because it juxtaposed bright colours with more subdued colours, making the brighter colours feel even brighter, while also not causing eye strain.
Study how it used colours, not just the colours it used.

Im more inspired about setting of future boy conan + story than the art style it uses. So I never even studied it in first place. Minish cap had bright colors but they filled the environment with a lot of stuff which made the grass color less eye straining. My piece does not have much content and it has big open empty space of bright color.. Maybe thats why it looks eye straining in first place? I will add a lot of content which I hope reduces the brightness.

@Ozego :) Yeah I figured this out! Thank you guys for big help

@Seiseki
Thank you for reply! I think that is the problem I have and I should not worry about the bright color. In some monitor it looks fine but my Brother for example has very expensive monitor but everything looks super bright in his monitor... When I made it darker it looks fine in my brother monitor but with mains it just ruin the the tone which make my brain very conflicted  :blind:

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 11:00:52 pm

I played around with the idea of making a less saturated version of the original garish green show through as pools under darker patches of grass. You were probably aiming for a less wild and dry looking grass, but it was fun :)

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 11:20:49 pm
Maybe stick with the current colours you got right now if you're happy with them. Just keep updating this with what assets you're going to stick into the mockup, I wanna see how far you take this  ;D

You're right about minish cap, they have a similar brightness that is shared with this mockup of yours, but all the assets that are on each screen sort of tone down it down on their own when you have things like dirt walls, water etc. Just throw more thingies into the mockup \ o /
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:24:41 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 12:38:47 pm

I played around with the idea of making a less saturated version of the original garish green show through as pools under darker patches of grass. You were probably aiming for a less wild and dry looking grass, but it was fun :)

That is awesome edit! I was actually planning to do similar thing. Make dark grass variation for variety  + it would also reduce  bright empty spot.

Maybe stick with the current colours you got right now if you're happy with them. Just keep updating this with what assets you're going to stick into the mockup, I wanna see how far you take this  ;D

You're right about minish cap, they have a similar brightness that is shared with this mockup of yours, but all the assets that are on each screen sort of tone down it down on their own when you have things like dirt walls, water etc. Just throw more thingies into the mockup \ o /

Thank you skittlefuck you are great inspiration. I will update this in pixeljoint when it is done ;)..