AuthorTopic: Too bright colors?  (Read 9086 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Too bright colors?

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 10:04:56 pm
If you want it to feel like sunlit grass, try lowering the saturation, but making it a little yellower. Bright doesn't have to mean highly-saturated.

Offline ChillTaco

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 10:34:07 pm
Try this one for the grass.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:38:45 pm by ChillTaco »

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 11:44:55 pm
Tried an edit that goes in the other direction, adding more saturation. Probably too much, but I feel like this loses a lot of charm when you lower the saturation like you did... 'Dunno, might just be me. :crazy:

I guess it still hurts the eyes a lot... Maybe softer colors on the ground would work better then. Something like that, maybe? Some colors still feel a bit agressive, but I kinda like it this way, too.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:38:19 am by MicKo »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:17 am
The new color is much easier on the eyes and doesn't compromise the bright art style, good stuff.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 12:39:08 pm
Nice to see you've overcome your fears. The new colour is much better.
But you have to work on the leaf trees. They don't fit anymore.
Good luck!

EDIT: Oh man. This edit wasn't made by Beetleking. Just ignore me. :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:27:42 am by Runensucher »

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 06:14:01 am
It depends on the feeling you want to communicate. Personally I love the bright green color, but it might not be the right one for your project. Perhaps people feel it is too bright because it conflicts with the pitch you give them about your project.
The bright version is very anime. The world it conjures up is similar to gibli movies, nature has triumphed over humanity and evil industrialisation.
If you want a more bleak view on your world you need to show it in the colors. Look at the colors war movies use to represent foliage. They always tone it to desaturated bleak colors, even if the action takes place in canopy jungle.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 07:41:59 pm
It depends on the feeling you want to communicate. Personally I love the bright green color, but it might not be the right one for your project. Perhaps people feel it is too bright because it conflicts with the pitch you give them about your project.
The bright version is very anime. The world it conjures up is similar to gibli movies, nature has triumphed over humanity and evil industrialisation.
If you want a more bleak view on your world you need to show it in the colors. Look at the colors war movies use to represent foliage. They always tone it to desaturated bleak colors, even if the action takes place in canopy jungle.

@ MicKo Nice edit! If I watch these with my monitor. The first edit is very saturaded as you said but the last one is too dark which lose the charm.. as you said :) ..

Here is my new edit..  The base color is not as bright as before + I added little bit saturation. Not much difference.

New

vs

Old

@eishiya Thank you for tip!

@ MysteryMeat Are you refering to Micko edit?

@ Ozego

I got a lot inspiration from Future boy conan which is directed Hayao Miyazaki.. So Its amazing that you can see my influence by mile. The world of Future boy conan is colorful which is based on  post apocalyptic world.. Its very old anime series.  I wanted create similar world. I personally dont wanna bleach that much. I made it colorful because I like bright color + yeah anime :) Im just worried that my color might be just too bright for other people with different monitor.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:53:22 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 08:01:02 pm
Yeah, monitor differences might be in play here. I was in fact referring to the edit, and the edit matches the colors of that screenshot a bit more closely and aren't as glaring and eye-hurting.
See if you can take a look at it from another device, perhaps a smart phone, the yellow-green you used (at least on my screen) is quite glaring, and hurts a bit to look at.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 11:36:33 pm
I've noticed cheap monitors usually have really bright greens but with reds and blues de-saturated.
My monitor is far from perfect but it's above average when it comes an even color spectrum.

I did tone down certain green tones in the palette that I use, because they just turned into a really glowy overly bright colors on my friends monitor. To be fair, it was right on the edge of being too bright on my own monitor, so I settled for a middle ground.
Both of my friends have cheap Benq monitors, but unless you're an artist or just picky about these things you don't really need an expensive monitor, so it's not like I'm hating on cheap stuff.  ::)

If you're doing color work on a cheap monitor you should be aware that some colors might be heavily desaturated and others overly saturated. And even more expensive ones might have bad calibration.
This would totally skew your perception and the way you use those colors and the same is true for the viewer.
I don't think anyone of us reading this thread are seeing the same colors though, maybe some of you pro's with calibrated monitors ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:41:15 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Jin

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 08:51:28 am
I also think the colors are too bright/saturated globally, it can be eye tiring if you're in a game like this for hours.

I just tried another palette from my library with less saturated colors so you can see what a big difference of color might look like.
Sometimes focusing too much on just one palette is not good.

You may not be looking for this kind of colors though...

Also there is less colors on this one, I think it can help the reading as well.