AuthorTopic: Too bright colors?  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Too bright colors?

on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:58 pm
Im working on my personal project which is small 2D action rpg game and I have got critic that my colors are too bright. The problem is that I see no  same problem with my monitor. So is my color too bright? Did it burn you eyes? This always happen with my works. They always turn to be super bright in other people computers but not  mine.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Too bright colors?

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41:36 pm
I think they look pretty great, on my shitty laptop screen at least :P The ground color might be a bit too saturated and/or bright, but I guess it depends on how much you plan break it up with grass tusks, ponds, rocks, rivers, stuff...

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:54:30 pm
I think they look pretty great, on my shitty laptop screen at least :P The ground color might be a bit too saturated and/or bright, but I guess it depends on how much you plan break it up with grass tusks, ponds, rocks, rivers, stuff...

I see. I was planning to break it up with a lot of stuff.. The world itself has a lot of  Post-apocalypse houses scattered middle of forest... Here are some tiles that Im working on.. But I guess you are right that it will be balanced  with a lot of stuff.. I think Minish cap looked fine with the bright colors.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:07:44 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline vleize

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:20:51 pm
This art looks really amazing! ...That being said, combined with the colour of the grass it is a little bit eye-burney. I think the ground colour is a little too oversaturated for something that is covering the entire floor of the level, personally. And if I was viewing that fullscreen, it would definitely bother my eyes.

I would suggest either just dropping the saturation, or maybe shifting the colour away from the yellow-green, ooor perhaps even just lightening it!

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:27:22 pm
This art looks really amazing! ...That being said, combined with the colour of the grass it is a little bit eye-burney. I think the ground colour is a little too oversaturated for something that is covering the entire floor of the level, personally. And if I was viewing that fullscreen, it would definitely bother my eyes.

I would suggest either just dropping the saturation, or maybe shifting the colour away from the yellow-green, ooor perhaps even just lightening it!

Ty! I really dont want mess with the colors because it might mess the cluster and tone of the world. I was planning to adjust  lightning.. I really hope it works.

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:54:06 pm
I always liked you work, it's an inspiration to tell the truth. I think the very bright colors are part of your style, so embrace them.

Having said that, I agree the main grass color is a bit too yellowish and saturated.

More in line in my opinion.
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:38:20 am
Tried my hand at an edit. I feel like more than it just being very bright, it's that everything is so saturated, even the shadows so the attention is being drawn everywhere on each individual asset, feels like it's lacking a certain contrast of saturation. I think you should maybe de-saturated the shadows. Also maybe darken the buildings, they feel too bright to be stone, or at least they don't stick out very well from the grass since they share similar values imo.

Like washk said, everything I've seen you do usually is very bright -which I love! But I do think for this it's just a overall lack of contrast with how the saturation is

I suppose low contrast shadows do seem to be something that differs from your style, maybe try fooling around with high saturated shadows, lower the sat on the midtones and keep high saturated highlights for the foliage?

Another way to solve your problem without changing the saturation to drastically is to maybe just push the shadows more on the assets? I noticed that for especially the buildings, they have the same amount of light striking both the front and top, same sort of goes for the trees -sort of drowns them out when the light is hitting them like that.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:59:22 am by skittlefuck »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:17 am
Tried my hand at an edit. I feel like more than it just being very bright, it's that everything is so saturated, even the shadows so the attention is being drawn everywhere on each individual asset, feels like it's lacking a certain contrast of saturation. I think you should maybe de-saturated the shadows. Also maybe darken the buildings, they feel too bright to be stone, or at least they don't stick out very well from the grass since they share similar values imo.

Like washk said, everything I've seen you do usually is very bright -which I love! But I do think for this it's just a overall lack of contrast with how the saturation is

I suppose low contrast shadows do seem to be something that differs from your style, maybe try fooling around with high saturated shadows, lower the sat on the midtones and keep high saturated highlights for the foliage?

Another way to solve your problem without changing the saturation to drastically is to maybe just push the shadows more on the assets? I noticed that for especially the buildings, they have the same amount of light striking both the front and top, same sort of goes for the trees -sort of drowns them out when the light is hitting them like that.

@washk Thank you washk for help!

Thank you scittlefuck!

I really like both updates of yours.. I dont want drastically change the hue and saturation.. So I changed them little bit and put more dark in bulding so it match better with tree trunks... I changed little bit also the color of the grass.. So it should be little bit less yellow.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:41:43 am
I still think the body of the grass is too bright here, it might be wise to use one of the darker shades as the main body color.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 08:30:16 pm
I still think the body of the grass is too bright here, it might be wise to use one of the darker shades as the main body color.

I feel like darker color would ruin the piece. The grass and the places supposed to be bright but not super bright that burns the eye. I always have very hard balance the  brightness and darkness and I have problem explain and understand thing because my  english is not my first language..