AuthorTopic: Slash animation  (Read 2426 times)

Offline evocurio

• View Profile

Slash animation

on: December 06, 2016, 10:58:11 pm
http://imgur.com/a/YAmrX

Newbie to pixel art and animation looking for advice on pallet choice, and identification of any quirks in the piece.

The posted gif is a WIP 15-frame attack animation I hope to implement in my game.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Slash animation

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:37:37 pm
It looks pretty good, especially for an early project!  I've messed with the colors a bit down below and also played with the timing.  There's no reason to have so many frames for the slash; it slows it down and makes it look weak, plus it just sort of stops. 

Most of what I've done here is remove frames and move/edit effects.  These were just quick changes, but going forward, I'd add a bit more movement.  The hair and sheath especially should move and flow rather than stay completely static. 

Offline evocurio

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:36:06 am
Thank you very much for the feedback, Rosier!

I added the frames in hopes of adding to the momentum, but the speed definitely slowed it down.  I dig what you've done with the frame removal, but I'm going to experiment with an extra frame on follow-up to see if I can add more heft to the slash.

Can you comment on the hair movement specifically?  Is the top knot lacking flourish, or moreso the hanging strands to either side of his face?  I am looking for ways to add more motion to the hair, but I'm somewhat eluded as to what should be moving in this hairstyle.

The new pallet seems to really draw out the sheath's color, which is cool.  But I'd prefer to stick to a pacific-islander skin tone, and a less saturated shade of blue.  Were there any particular reasons behind your chosen colors?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 02:03:16 am
Definitely work on the follow up.  I didn't want to mess with your stuff too too much, but his body when he slashes is really still.  A bit of hyperextension might work, but that could probably be fixed with a bit of hair movement.  Everything about it is too still; the strands could swish across his face or have some sort of movement, something to carry the momentum.  The top knot does completely still when he slashes.  It might be because I duplicated a few frames for minor edits, but it can show some sort of movement.

As for the palette, I just made the colors a bit more saturated.  The darker skin tone you had was a bit too close to the main one, but having brighter shades is better for visibility and making everything stand out against the rest, especially at this size.  I also bumped up the red a tiny bit.  You don't necessarily have to use the colors I put in, but I would personally put the ones you have now to be a little brighter.

Offline evocurio

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:16:28 am
The clarification is much appreciated!

...on another note, I just realized that the exported animation is significantly slower than what is presented in GraphicsGale when I make the gif.  Does anyone know if this is something I need to compensate for in the creation process, or will this delay extend to in-game implementation as well?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:35:11 am
Your original image is gone so I can't say for sure but gifs can play at odd rates in browser. There's not much you can do about it. In a game you should have control over how quickly each frame plays.

Offline evocurio

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:15:10 am

Thanks for the notification, 32. 
I uploaded a revision (general movement adjustments from Rosier's mods) yesterday but forgot about the existing link.

Still gotta add additional hair movement and whatnot.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:34:08 am by evocurio »