AuthorTopic: [WIP][CC] First time doing a portrait, any feedback?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

[WIP][CC] First time doing a portrait, any feedback?

on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:10 am

I am not feeling great about the proportions, color, contrasts, and shading... any feedback will be appreciated!
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP][CC] First time doing a portrait, any feedback?

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:28:00 am

Some very minor tweaks, of most important note is that I carved away the right side of his cheek some to give it a more natural shape (cheeks rarely encompass the eyes, eye sockets are a very large recesses that tend to leave gaps between brow and cheek as I've done here) and I removed and changed some of the colors on the hair.
I also tweaked the ear, which was shaded very darkly despite the light source coming from around where it was.
There's other minor stuff like some chin tweaks to sharpen his heroic jawline, but hopefully you get the gist of it!
I'd say your proportions are fine you just need to look at some comparable faces to try and figure out where to shade some more. There's plenty I left undone here due to time issues, but I'm sure you can figure it out!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][CC] First time doing a portrait, any feedback?

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:13 pm
Here's some ideas building on MysteryMeat's edit. It's easier to work with less colors so if you can shave the palette down, go for it.

EDIT: Tweaked some more.

Progress:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:18:59 am by ErekT »