AuthorTopic: Some Pixel Art questions  (Read 1902 times)

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile

Some Pixel Art questions

on: December 06, 2016, 01:41:41 am
So I have some pixel art questions as I am learning. I am asking about one part of pixel art having the same hue but different shading. I don't understand why good pixel artists sometimes shade just 1 pixel surrounding other pixels. In fact, some pixel art I saw and have on my computer they have a bunch of different pixels next to each other with the same hues but are just shaded. Why do they do that? I know you need to shade because of the light and to make the pixel art look more 3D but why have a bunch of different pixels each next to each other? And if this is good practice, how do I do that too to make it look good?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Some Pixel Art questions

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:59:27 am
I'm not 100% sure but based on the description I think you're referring to anti-aliasing. Essentially it's a method of smoothing edges. If you google anti-aliasing pixel art you'll find plenty of tutorials

Maybe post a picture of what you're referring to if that doesn't look right.

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:19:04 am
Here is an example of it in Goku's face, arms, and clothes:

I guess it is antialasing. Unless you tell me it isn't.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:30:26 am
Yeah that's somewhere between anti-aliasing and shading. At lower resolutions the two are inexorably linked. The brightness of a pixel can actually describe shape as well as lightness, so a pixel that is halfway between a darker and lighter shade could describe either a mid coloured area or an area that is half dark colour and half light colour. It's a tricky concept to grasp, I'd suggest just playing around with shading and anti-aliasing based on what you observe and eventually it will click.