AuthorTopic: running [c&c]  (Read 3017 times)

Offline transilience

• View Profile

running [c&c]

on: December 01, 2016, 11:58:14 pm
working on my character again, decided to reduce resolution by 50% to make it easier to work with, so far I'm happy with the decision because I'm able to work faster and not have to worry too much about the details

a few notes - i was once told my animation style is that of Mitsuo Iso and it's definitely something that I've embraced, I draw every frame one by one, I don't have key frames or in betweens
the biggest issue with my animation style I believe is it lacks force, I'm not sure how to fix that in most places
the details are not finished yet, i'm primarily focusing on animation smoothness right now
also, i'm self taught - i've always been artistic but never a true artist, it's taken me 3 years of intermittent work to get comfortable with where I am, so please consider that I don't know many art fundamentals or terminology

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: running [c&c]

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:33:02 am
It lacks force because there's no weight to the things you do! the animations here are very good, way better than I'm currently capable of, but in order to convey force you have to think a bit more laterally.
For example, on that run animation the run is very even and the hips don't move a whole lot. The pose is very upright and static, and as a result it gives the appearance of a sterile jog!
However, if you were to lean her forward, that stance change alone would give her a much more determined look.
Moving further, you're not over-extending or winding up much. For example, on the run you could have her leg shoot forward a bit more and a frame faster to make it look like she's "kicking" her legs forward to move faster!

this also applies to the kamehameha thing in number two, add a few more frames of windup during the collection phase and add a bit more lean-in on the expulsion.
It's ALL in the timing!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:19:00 am
Thanks  Mystery Meat,

I took your advice and applied it to the run:

cleaned up some details too, I like the new angle thanks for that tip! The hips are still a bit static i'll have to see if I can adjust that somehow

one thing i noticed now is the legs still don't kick forward quite enough
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:21:33 am by transilience »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:35 am
You bet! I did a slight edit here, removed a few frames to give the forward movements a bit more snap.
As a rule, if you want a faster movement it should take less frames to make that movement!

The offset to what I did here is that the gait is a bit uneven (I didn't pay enough attention to what I was removing, oops!) but if you can get it even looking this is the pace you want to look for!

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 05:57:34 pm
thanks MM,

I've cut out a couple frames, added more forward kick, and tried to rework the hips a bit

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:32:18 pm
Not quite right, ideally you want les frames with the legs moving forward! You might have to chop or play with frame duration moreto get it going

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:08:20 pm
ok, I played around with the foot placement frame by frame, i think it's more fluid now, also changed the hair to something better

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:36:24 pm
Looking way better! I think now's a good time to start refining the lines, smaller details, and colors now!