AuthorTopic: Terrain tiles  (Read 12249 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Terrain tiles

Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 05:30:31 pm
Basically, I just agree with what gil said, so that's two votes for the middle one, and two votes for a palette change.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 11:18:39 pm
thanks for the votes on the new tile lol
I don't get whats wrong with the palette though?
It's a hell of alot better and more organized than any of the default ps6 palettes for sure. o.O

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 11:31:59 pm
If you have a pixeling program with a good, manageable palette system, do noT create a predefined palette with a range of values that will likely turn boring.
Instead, the best approach is to define the palette as you go. This way, you get fresh, nice colors the way you want them. If you are concerned about using too many, just make sure you reuse the colors you've already defined.
I looks good but as you say but tiled. Have you considered using more than one tile for your grass? Critism for looking like SoM? Eh... damn. Rough crowd or what?
Yeah. Personally, I love SoM tilesets et al., but it's understandable why many people criticize it. It's not original. It's been done COUNTLESS of times before (no less thanks to the tut on zoggles...)
It's really nice looking, but we love originality here. And Secret of Mana is not original... anymore.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 12:10:42 am
If you have a pixeling program with a good, manageable palette system, do noT create a predefined palette with a range of values that will likely turn boring.
Instead, the best approach is to define the palette as you go. This way, you get fresh, nice colors the way you want them. If you are concerned about using too many, just make sure you reuse the colors you've already defined.Yeah. Personally, I love SoM tilesets et al., but it's understandable why many people criticize it. It's not original. It's been done COUNTLESS of times before (no less thanks to the tut on zoggles...)
It's really nice looking, but we love originality here. And Secret of Mana is not original... anymore.

not really trying to defend the originality of the piece, but thats SWORD of mana, not secret

I also agree that the second grass tile is best

as far as the palette, i tend to work from a similar base palette for my stuff, but push the sliders around a bunch if i need something i dont have.  not the best way to go at all, but it does keep projects fairly unified without much thought

also, chances are, except for the gray rows, if a color section doesnt change, thats because i dont use it
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:16:31 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 02:34:35 pm
Just wanted to show a small example of what I have for tiles at the moment & what I'm able to do with them (which isn't near what I want to do with them).

Not really looking for too much crit. on this, I'll take some on the sand & sand/dirt combo tiles & the general look of the water though.
I can already see a few things I want to change in the sand & sand/dirt combo tiles, I'm content with how the dirt looks, but am open to suggestions on how to get it to look more like dirt :P
If you're at all curious about the grass/sand combo tiles, I thought about it alot before choosing to throw the dark dirt color in there, no it's not meant for shading.
I haven't done any water/sand, water/dirt, water/grass combo tiles yet... just decided to throw the tiles i had up there, I know it looks horrible. lol
That's pretty much all I have to say to defend the way the image looks, aside from the fact that I didn't use my extra grass, dirt, and sand tiles to break it up more.

What I'll be working on soon, after I get the basic tiles done, is another 1 or 2 sets for each combo tile to give the terrain more, uh... flavor o.O (such as having the grass stick out more into the sand or dirt & stuff like that.)
Anyways... back to work for me. :)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 08:38:59 pm
looking much better then when it started, i feel that the dirt is too dark now though and the grass in the sand could use some work it just looks like a blob atm. also a sand to water tile wouldnt go amis
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler