AuthorTopic: Tips for my game  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Serge Chrono

• View Profile

Tips for my game

on: November 27, 2016, 08:55:01 pm
- Which size should I use when producing characters and assets in general for my game?
- Are there any links to help me creating a character? Thanks a lot in advance.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:05:12 pm by Serge Chrono »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Tips for my game

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:20:35 pm
So you really have to be more exact. With size i presume you mean resolution. this is purely preference and style. you can go from 16x16 sprites to full res 3d model or hand drawn. I wouldn't recommend going below 8x8, otherwise you get unreadable atari graphics.

with creating a character do you mean designing a character or drawing one? for either one it's best to just google search and you will learn the basics from some tutorials. then try making your character and come here for cc.
You get in the bowl

Offline TEETH

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/77463.htm
    • candyballad.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • My Game Progress Site

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:44:19 pm
how big do you want the game window? 640x480 is good for html, producing for mobile devices will open up a can of worms with resolution, or you can do bigger if it's a downloadable game. 32x32 is usually pretty good if you're not doing mobile.
With the character question, it's first best to ask yourself what type of feeling do you want for the game. What is the genre? What is the story? Cooking Mama would be a terrible character in a game like Destiny, and Commander Shepard would look really bad in a game like Skyrim. It's best to flesh more of your game out theme wise before you worry about the character too much.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:05:23 pm
how big do you want the game window? 640x480 is good for html, producing for mobile devices will open up a can of worms with resolution, or you can do bigger if it's a downloadable game. 32x32 is usually pretty good if you're not doing mobile.
With the character question, it's first best to ask yourself what type of feeling do you want for the game. What is the genre? What is the story? Cooking Mama would be a terrible character in a game like Destiny, and Commander Shepard would look really bad in a game like Skyrim. It's best to flesh more of your game out theme wise before you worry about the character too much.

My sprites are 32 x 32 for my mobile game, and I have pixel perfect resolutions on near every resolution screen out there.

Offline Serge Chrono

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:39 pm
Yeah, I should have been more specific, sorry. I am trying to make a NES action game in Castlevania style, with "realistic" proportional characters as you see in games like Vice: Project Doom, Oniken, Super Castlevania IV, etc. But I have some problems figuring out how to draw correctly characters of this kind.

My main problems are clusters and curves. Which kind of forms should I use generally to make heads, shoulders, legs, arms, etc.?

Thanks a lot to all of you.