AuthorTopic: [WIP] Need help with a mech  (Read 3148 times)

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

[WIP] Need help with a mech

on: November 23, 2016, 11:49:23 pm
So I am working on this:

I need help with details and with what I should do with the background. FYI, I am using the nes color palette. I just don't know where to go from here. Please give me feedback and ideas. I will post updates until I feel it is done. Thanks!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: [WIP] Need help with a mech

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 01:16:06 am

using the colors and style you used as a base i added a bit of mechanical detail to it and hinted slightly at the background.

I think you pulled off the perspective quite well and everything has a solid feeling of volume to it. Use a bit more complex forms and add "cool" stuff like stripes, antennas, additional pistons, joint protections and stuff you would expect from a machine.

COlor wise I envisioned kind of a mars landscape, but generally the background isn't that important, I think it's more important to use the bg detail to draw you in to the character and to have some dynamic swooshy shapes which add life to the very static robot.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:57:50 am
Wow, that is just amazing. I'm gonna work on this really hard, you have seriously inspired me, thanks.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 04:56:32 am
Update:

I tried adding some more detail, but now that I look at it, the legs are too thin and I don't really like their design. Oh well, I guess I'll work on this some more tomorrow.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:17:00 pm
Don't be too down lad! I think it looks fine, thin legs work to give it a spidery appearance!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:36:13 am
Heres a new one:

It's still not finished, obviously there is still work to be done. I still need to work on the background and the head thing needs work. I like how the legs turned out though. I also changed some colors around, but I'm still not sure if I like the new colors better. And tomorrow, hopefully more progress.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 05:41:22 am
I'm not sold on the new legs, honestly! These give it a much more mega-man feel, whereas the old ones gave me a more elegant aperture science vibe! All are good designs, of course, this is all conjecture from my own personal preference vis a vis robutt design.

To round out this one I think it might help to slap some turrets on either side of it, to balance out those hefty legs.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 09:49:50 pm

The above is the same image in 3 different palettes

Your legs aren't quite following perspective and the back ones hadn't been updated to the broad design. I changed some detail to give you ideas otherwise. When changing the colours you forgot to update the lighter bit on the pelvis-analog.

You should also add some rubble or stuff in the foreground.

The left one is in the palette you use now. The middle is in your old palette (I personally think the brown/dark grey works better than the two greys, but both blend into the background) and the right one is in a different NES palette.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.