AuthorTopic: [C+C] Need Help please.  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

[C+C] Need Help please.

on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:28 am
So, on this next chapter of "1 am drawings " i present the newest family member:

The wendigoclops.

I hate this guy, like... for real.

My intial thought process wanted to make a mob that resembles desperation. unable to see, but very capable of hearing.

I fucked up, i know. I finished with a bunch of concepts mixed into one freaky ass dude.I don't like the result, so i was looking for help because i've been trying to make this dude for like...3 months now, and every time i fail miserably haha.

This was my initial thought:

and after a while i finished with this christmas tree:

I mean, it doesn't change that much, but for sure, it has a much more different vibe.Anyway, i'm not pleased.
Can you help me, Masters of the pixel? ???
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Need Help please.

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:07:27 am
Obviously, it's not finished.But i'm sure that you get the point  :)
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:35:36 am
I'd say take the antlers and eyes back off. The original was rolling a sort of mish-mash vibe between the faceless hand-eye monster from Pan's Labyrinth and the smooth desiccation look from Geiger's classic Alien designwork.
Try to channel that more, instead of adding facial features go for emphasis on what is missing instead, and maybe even put a bit more rot and saggy skin on him to sell the corpsey feel he seems to be rolling right now a bit more!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:07:24 pm
I have to say, that you are very intuitive Meat... Those 2 concepts were exactly what i was thinking when i first started drawing this guy.The Eyeless monster from pan's lab+Alien (Actually, i just got this pose from one of their concept art)
And maybe i'm being too obvious about it...

Going for the rotten skin today, trying to get closer to something more, original.

Muchas gracias seņor MisteriosDeLasCarnes!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:36:00 pm by Fieldren »
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 01:23:40 pm
I agree in that, as the eyes and antlers distract me from how creepy he looks.  As in they don't seem to fit as well and they attract the eyes.

The first one is a bit difficult to make out at the smallest size, especially the chin over the chest.
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:12 pm
What comes to my mind is "the smell of despair".
Maybe you can give him a nose. That will help it to hunt its prey.

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:47:49 pm
I was wondering and getting concepts together, for example:
-Blind monster (No eyes)
-Large mouth, almost like piranhas.
-Large pinzers (Is that right? Pinzers?) or scissor-styled hands.
-Like a lot the "nose" idea, but i think it has to be something very subtle in this case. (Runnen)
-I'm definitely taking out the eyes and the antlers,and in terms of the size of this guy, let me show you my main character, and tell me your opinion,BadMoodBro.

Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:51:36 pm
On the nose, I'd give him nostril slits with some wrinkling around them to suggest development without compromising the form.
Don't add too much though, it's easy to go overboard with monster design, ideally you want to keep it down to two or three "major" design bulletpoints so it doesn't come off as tryhard and shatter immersion.
Good example of that is, again, Geiger's alien: It's vaguely phallic, vaguely human, and yet very inhuman. Those three factors came together to create the personality and design of the animalistic bloodthirsty Alien. Imagine if they'd given the alien scythe-arms, or a scorpion bobbins on their tail, or drenched it in blood, it would have been way too much and shattered that "vaguely human" bulletpoint which I'd argue made the design so uncanny! It's a bit of a hard balancing act sometimes, but it always pays to take a careful step to make sure things work without ruining the design's cohesion.

In comparison to the human dude, the monster is REALLY TALL, but crouched down to below him. You can certainly play with that a bit, making them tall and gangly is a great way to make the enemy designs imposing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:56:59 pm by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:59:10 pm
Oh yes,i was looking at some old pieces of art and discovered that tall things=fear.That's a very intereseting topic.
And quoting what you say Meat, can you give me a visual reference? I mean, i'm sorry i don't know what "nostril slits" are, but i really want to know please,i'm getting fond of that rotten-look that you are suggesting Meat.

Aw yiss, what kind of enlightment are you up to ,Meat? Your clarification has a tremendous point...I am mixing a bunch of concepts, but none of them gets highlighted... I haven't thought about it.Yo da mvp,Meat. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:06:47 pm by Fieldren »
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:35:09 pm
Nostril slits are, what snakes and lizzards have.
That's exactly what I had in mind.
I'm excited to see your results.