AuthorTopic: Castle of the Winds Public Domain Remake  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Castle of the Winds Public Domain Remake

on: October 12, 2006, 01:51:06 pm
As some of you might know I've been doing a Castle of the Winds remake for some time now.

I'm doing this with a few fellow enthousiasts, and each of us is working on a separate remake. I seem to be the only artist of the bunch, so I promised I would create a public domain pack of graphics for them to use in their remake. They are not my best work and rather rushed. The graphics in my remake should be of a superior quality.

That said, here are the sprites I already did. C&C is appreciated, but I warn you that I'm not inclined to put too much effort into these. Some small edits might be followed up, but changing the style or shading or anything like that just won't happen I'm afraid.

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Re: Castle of the Winds Public Domain Remake

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:04:52 pm
Brings back memories for sure. I used to play that as a wee lad.

The crits would really be that you should have strayed further away from the bases from the original game, as they have quite a bit left to be considered good.
They look nicer for sure though.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:22:38 pm
well I guess I'm not sure why you're posting these, since you acknowledge you could do better.  Show us the art for your remake  :)

Though I guess if I had ever played the game I would have more interest in these

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:38:17 pm
I'm not sure, but I think he made these in addition to the ones that he will make for his own game. In which case, these SHOULDN'T be his best work, so the ones he uses for his game ARE his best work.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 11:51:53 pm
I'd say more contrast between shades within the sprites, such as the male and female torsos. They look a bit washed out atm to me. Other than that, can't wait to see your superior quality stuff!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:20:27 am
Darien: The art for the remake was already posted here, this is new stuff. And just because it's not good work doesn't mean I can't show it here to get some feedback, does it? And I do like quite a few of the posted sprites, such as the dog, the wolves, the bat, the spider and the ant

Anyway, here's an example of what I did for my own game:

Note that the side view is very WIP-ish. I switched the arms around on the latest alpha, so that the sword isn't in front of the face...

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 01:31:26 am
I posted that because it sounded like you knew what was wrong with it already, and since you didn't plan to really update them or bring them to your current skill level, I wasn't sure what type of feedback you were looking for.

This sprite is looking good so far.  For the walk animation I think his feet should come towards the center more when he steps instead of staying shoulder width apart.  Also the head turning is unecessary and unrealistic.  I think the selout is way too harsh as well, perhaps remove it entirely.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 09:16:22 am
Perhaps you could add one darker shade for smoother transition from the black to the skin? It looks kind of harsh now.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 12:36:04 pm
Yeah, valid crits, though I like the head bob, unrealistic as it may be... I might fix the selout, as it's a bit wonky in places, though I like the effect, so I might try to salvage it.

Oh, and the other ones were just posted to show what I'm doing lately. You can C+C them if you want, and if you provide an edit, I might even update them. I just don't want to spend hours trying to get them right...

Thanks for the crits everyone :y: