AuthorTopic: Full Metal Alchemist: The 8-Bit Saga  (Read 4459 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Full Metal Alchemist: The 8-Bit Saga

on: October 12, 2006, 06:28:27 am
Boy - I haven't actually started a thread here in a while.  here goes!

We've been marathoning FMA here in the office, so I couldn't resist a little homage fan art...I'd like to turn it into a fullblown NES mockup eventually.  I also made a crib sheet to help me while I go:

There are some conflicting NES palettes out there, but it seems its a pretty fluid thing - I liked this one the best :P  If i have made any grave mistakes here please let me know!  Also crits on the idle for Ed are greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to get the hair to move nicely like the coat does...Thanks!

*Note: Ed is comprised of more than a few sprites - a bunch of 8x8's for the body, and one for the head...definitely puts a dent in the available sprite memory...and Al is gonna take up a bunch more!  I guess it won't be a shooter...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:30:31 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: NES for fun

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:45:19 am
Someone should collect all these nice schematics.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: NES for fun

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:28:01 am
Alphonse Elric:

Next up is some kind of level for these guys I think...also, if they are both on-screen, enemies AND powerups have to share either those existing palettes OR the one remaining palette...kinda tricky.  Probably won't be able to have them both on-screen at the same time I guess...and will have to dedicate powerups to one of Ed's palettes I think...hmm...

EDIT - gonna tack on some thoughts about the game as a whole here, I don't really expect anyone to read them though!

I think Castlevania II is the closet thing out there to how I'd like 8-Bit Saga to play, at least on the NES.  More recently, Cave Story was a nice mix of platforming and adventure elements.  Basically, you'd travel from town to town, sometimes backtracking, fighting off evil and helping to capture evil alchemists.  Press the Select button at any time to switch between combat-oriented Al or magic-oriented Ed.  Would be nice to incorporate casting times - like if you start a spell as Ed, you'd be able to switch to Al and fight guys hand-to-hand while the spell charges, then it would auto-swap back to Al for the devastating spell effect.  Ed should be able to heal Al during down-time, but Ed would require food or drink in order to heal.  Once Ed has been incapacitated he can no longer heal Al, but you won't be able to just walk around as auto-healing Al all the time - you'll need Ed's magic to get past lots of different monsters and barriers, plus his magic will be useful in combat, especially for distance attacks.  Once you've helped save a town you should be able to use their tavern to get free food and drink to rest up before traveling to new places.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:43:54 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Re: Full Metal Alchemist: The 8-Bit Saga

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 03:04:11 am
I like the first one, but the face on the second is odd. I can't connect it to Alphonse from the series, maybe exaggerate just a bit?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:14:24 am
why does ed have 5 colors? are you using sprite overlaying?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 03:23:33 am
yeah, he's 6 colors, and both are made of a dang lot of sprites, but for Ed I used an additional palette for his head - I figure it could be recycled for money drops and other character's heads and hands too.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 05:52:24 am
Oh cool ! FMA fan-art ^^

What about an 8bit FMA fighting game mockup ? Like King Of Spriters but smaller and with FMA characters ^^