AuthorTopic: How?!?!  (Read 5417 times)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

How?!?!

on: October 12, 2006, 01:24:55 am
Ok, I've seriously looked over many tutorials and not one covers what I need to know.
How do you mix and find colors that seriously fit in so well.

For example these two pieces. On the top, how do you konw what colors blend good with the purples blues and yellows, and on the bottom. The detail in the jeans and skin tones. It all blends in so well and there colors I would never even think of using. Someone please take the time to let me know cause I really need to know this.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: How?!?!

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:12:09 am
There's a thread about this..

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=922.0

initially it's just, pic a skin colour, choose slightly darker tones till you've completed it's shading (tweaking around with Hue/Saturation/brightness until satisfied). But in pixel art it's all about making the most of you're colours so like on that woman character, the skin darkens to a red'er tone with is used in the hair, and the pink of the top along with the highlights in the skin can be used to make shines on the trousers.. it's all about using AA aswell, im sure there's a perfect description for colour choosing somewhere that introduces ya, I don't know how advanced of an answer you want.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:16:35 am
For example these two pieces. On the top, how do you konw what colors blend good with the purples blues and yellows, and on the bottom. The detail in the jeans and skin tones. It all blends in so well and there colors I would never even think of using. Someone please take the time to let me know cause I really need to know this.

Its all down to 3 things:
  • natural artistic skills - without being a good standard of basic art skills you will never be able to progress
  • Experience is pretty much the key for any pixel-art technique
  • Practice is probably the best thing to do.  You can't expect the be able to make pieces like the one you've shown first time round - no-one here expects you to either.  Your color choices will become more automatic the more stuff you do.  Its a skill you can read lots about but at the end of the day you can only really learn it for yourself.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:29:27 am
In general hilights are warm, shadows are cool. To give a certain atmosphere to an image, you could infuse every base color with warm/cool tones to create a universal "temperature" to the image.

Style and aestheticism, however, use hue shifts to evoke a sense of beauty. IMHO, no hilight-midtone-shadow palette should ever be all along the same hue. It's not like that in real life, so why should it be in art?

Just my 1/2 cent.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:02:04 pm
I think the colors that "mix" well should have the same "feel"... For example, black and purple are both "cool" colors, and red and yellow are both "warm" colors, so they would match well.
In the first example though, I think yellow was supposed to be some ambient lighting, which is done for more effect, I guess.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 11:38:47 pm
I think the colors that "mix" well should have the same "feel"... For example, black and purple are both "cool" colors, and red and yellow are both "warm" colors, so they would match well.
In the first example though, I think yellow was supposed to be some ambient lighting, which is done for more effect, I guess.

Hmm, personally i try to stay away from that idea. There are loads of ways to make black a warm colour in an image (with help of the colours around it) and also, purple can be a very warm colour in certain ways, as it isn't very specific. Yellow can easily look cold aswel - however i suppose red is more likely to stay red, as it's more specific than the rest (because of pink) ... but then again it's still possible to look cold, with lower saturation or etc..  :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 11:40:29 pm by Larwick »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:17:59 am
unfortunately, even the basics of color theory takes up a good part of your freshman and sophomore years of study at most of the top art schools, and continue through grad school and even higher into acadamia, so it is impossible to post a truely comprehensive explanation... but i will post a bit of the very basic stuff later when im not so tired
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.